Recommendation for Headphones Needed
May 12, 2014 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Deterministic NL

Head-Fier
I'm not sure why but I'm looking to add another set of cans to my harem. Right now I have Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR-V6, and Bose QC-15 (strictly for airplanes and trains).

The HD650's only play nice with one system I have and I have many systems.  Think obsessive / compulsive.  They are comfortable beyond belief. I like the way they cover the whole ear.

I absolutely love the Sony MDR-V6.  They are amazing headphones.  And as I said I have Bose noise cancelers in the laptop bag for travel.  I actually like them for watching videos on the iPad or casual music listening.

I'm considering Sennheiser HD598 for the "middle" pair but I think I'm overlooking a lot of possibilities.   Budget is no issue however I don't want to spend more than I did on the 650's.  When I got the 650's I came dangerously close to getting the 598's and had I understood more about high impedance I probably would have gotten the 598's.

Also I live in Japan if there are any hot Asian cans anybody knows about. 

So basically I'm looking for the sound of the MDR-V6 with the "cover the whole ear" comfort of the HD650's. 

All ideas appreciated. 

My systems and components are (that have a headphone input):

All lean towards lower impedance other than the Crack.

Bottlehead Crack amp
Bottlehead SEX amp
Fisher 500C
Schiit Modi / Magni combo (Schiit Stack)
Fiio E17
Fioo E7
Fiio E09K
Fiio E12DIY
ODAC
Nuforce UDAC 2 and 2SE
HiFiMEDiy Dac
Nexus 7 with any of the above mentioned DAC's
MacbookAir with above mentioned DAC's
Dell Linux Laptop with above mentioned DAC's

May 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi,