Recommendation for excellent quality full-sized headphone that play well with Dubstep/EDM/Electronic
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 26
If you got something like the JDS labs O2 with built in ODAC (http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48), or one of the Fiios, the DT990 would be transportable. You couldn't listen to it while walking it around, but you could stuff it into a backpack and listen to it wherever you set up your laptop. In that case, the difference becomes open vs. closed -- you couldn't listen to the DT990s loud around other people. Moderate/background volumes wouldn't bother anybody though. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #17 of 26
So the real question is, the difference in sound quality vs mobility.

Keep in mind that the SQ increase will be from the STX as well. The STX has a much better DAC and headphone amp than typical PC audio.

For the $50 price difference, I say get the STX and the DT990s :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #18 of 26
Keep in mind that the SQ increase will be from the STX as well. The STX has a much better DAC and headphone amp than typical PC audio.

For the $50 price difference, I say get the STX and the DT990s
smily_headphones1.gif

+1, you can also grab a Fiio E11 [like $35 used] for driving the DT 990 on the go! 

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #19 of 26
Ok I'm leaning towards the DT990s+STX, so I guess that leaves one question remaining for me, what is the affect of impedance on SQ?

I understand that impedance dictates the required voltage level to drive the drivers, but how does it affect the SQ output? I also have a minor in Electrical Engineering, so you can get pretty detailed if the explanation permits.

I'm asking because the DT990 Pros only come in 250Ohms.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #20 of 26
I understand that impedance dictates the required voltage level to drive the drivers, but how does it affect the SQ output? I also have a minor in Electrical Engineering, so you can get pretty detailed if the explanation permits.

PM sent

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 26
Thanks guys for all the help!

I just ordered a pair of DT990 Pros from amazon for $150 and a Xonar Essence STX for $170.They should be here tomorrow (Amazon prime for students, overnight shipping was only $7.99 for both items)!

I'll let you guys know what I think and thanks again for pushing me in the right direction, I almost bought the Momentums (still might for office listening over the summer, that's 8 month from now)!

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #22 of 26
Congrats! That should sound awesome. :D

Know that many people use the Uni Xonar Drivers over the one supplied by Asus. http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #23 of 26

I just ordered a pair of DT990 Pros from amazon for $150 and a Xonar Essence STX for $170.They should be here tomorrow (Amazon prime for students, overnight shipping was only $7.99 for both items)!

I'll let you guys know what I think and thanks again for pushing me in the right direction, I almost bought the Momentums (still might for office listening over the summer, that's 8 month from now)!

When you install the STX, remember to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.
Try using Foobar2000 for playing audio files.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 26

When you install the STX, remember to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.
Try using Foobar2000 for playing audio files.

agree'd

and WOW you k now I have Amazon Prime for students, I never knew Over Night was that cheap! Too bad I rarely order anything from Amazon outside of text books xD 

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #25 of 26
Hey guys! 

My headphones and soundcard got here. I've been too busy all day to get around to using them, that is until now! 

They sound awesome! I can actually hear details in songs that I couldn't before!

Thanks so much for your help guys!

beyersmile.png

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #26 of 26
  Hey guys! 

My headphones and soundcard got here. I've been too busy all day to get around to using them, that is until now! 

They sound awesome! I can actually hear details in songs that I couldn't before!

Thanks so much for your help guys!

beyersmile.png

Hey! I'm happy to hear that you'r enjoying it! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back