recommendation for diy amp
Jun 21, 2005 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ron_k

New Head-Fier
I'd like some opinions please for this diy amp http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...lerano_prj.htm
Is it good and how does it compare against other diy amps like the WNA,Pete Millet,JLH etc?

My headphones are sennheiser hd600

Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Might not have enough gain to drive your senns unless without an additional gain stage such as a class-A JFET fronting the amp.Something along the lines of the National Semi "U" Amp found in the National JFET Applications Journal and I beleive linked to in the DIY Links section.

The other option would be to take the signal feed from a preamp if you have one rather than the tape out which is normally used for headphone amps in the home system.

This is more of a "follower" amp than it is true headphone amp and the absence of a volum control tells you that it will need some pre gain and controls before the amp itself.

BTW-Sounds fine but all the amps you mentioned also sound fine.Just different

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Thank you Rick!

I'm trying to find a nice headphone amp to build, theres so many designs I don't know where to start
biggrin.gif

Do you have any recommendations? I'd prefer something totally diy if possible but with excellent sound, I don't mind if its tube or discrete
I'm more than satisfied with the main hi-fi so now its time to build a good headamp

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 7
I like to point to projects with full documentation and a history behind them and either of the two hybrids would most likely be satisfying.

The Borbely Hybrid or the Millett hybrid amps are not only good sounding designs but are not budget breakers andt have full magazine article texts (Audio eXpress Articles) for download.It really does help to have a step by step and all the theory and why choices were made in a format that can be understood easily.

One uses a low voltage tube front end mated to a monolithic buffer as the output,the ohter also a tube front end but with a discretre CCSed SE Class-A output stage.A bit more adavnced and maybe a bit more accurate but the Millett has as its "selling point" that any errors are errors of omission and all of a musical nature.A very easy to listen to amp and the one I would choose if the front end were a computer or portable player such as an ipod.

With a better front end such as a high end dedicated CD player or vinyl playback system I would choose the Borbely.

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Thats great! thanks again Rick, its much appreciated

My main hi-fi amp is a diy tube design so I'm ok with high voltages, just totally new to headphone amps
biggrin.gif

I'll have a look at the Borbely hybrid, to be honest sound quality is more important to me than anything else

Ron

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Well my first post and with a fast reply along with all the info I need
cool.gif

Cheers Rick,again!!
3000smile.gif

Almost forgot, I've a few spare 6DJ8 Bugleboys and Mullards that should do nicely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back