Recommendation for cheap, travel, sealed headphones
Feb 8, 2007 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pretzelb

100+ Head-Fier
I just started playing with my new PA2V2 and I'd like to get a pair of sealed headphones to use in a shared office and on planes. My other equipment is an iPod video (I have a line out adapter), an old pair of Shure E2Cs, and some Grado SR60s. As you can see (besides the iPod) my setup so far is on the cheap side. I may venture into more expensive stuff in the future but for now I'd like to stay cheap. My target would be less than $100 but I would go to $150 if something was really good and would last me. I did some browsing and found these candidates:

AKG K 26 P
Sennheisers PMX 200
Sennheisers EH 150

But I'd be willling to look at more. I'd like to find something I can get at a brick and mortar store so I started looking at Sennheisers which can be found at Circuit City.

The big problem is that with the PA2V2 and line-out the Shure E2C are too loud for me and my Grado let too much noise escape (I'm trying to be considerate). I'm just trying to find something that needs the amplification of the PA2V2 but won't disturb my co-worker or my travel mates on the plane for the next few months while I'm on the road.

Whew. Long story. Any ideas?

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 5
HD280's seal really well. Arguably best sounding sealed cans in your price range. Prices vary on it 70-100. You can hear everything because they block a lot of outside noise even at relatively low volume. I have 5.5 gen 80gb ipod and I can easily run them at half volume outside and in the subway and still hear subtle details. When I checked how they leak by sealing on a friend, I could hardly hear anything being very close and he had them near max volume. At that volume its deafening and I would not recommend listening at that level ;p. I can wear 280's for hours and feel no discomfort. They are 64ohm impedance. These headphones are very susceptible to burn in, they really open up a little later on.

Negative is, they are huge. I do not find that a problem when outside, but it may be a factor to you.

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 5
I would throw the AKG K81DJ in there as well. I find them to be great travel + closed cans.

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm interested in trying the AKG but I've never seen them in any stores so it would be a total online purchase. I think I can find those Senn's in a store so I might take a look.

From what I've read those are both good suggestions. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back