Recommendation for cheap desoldering wick/braid and paste flux
Sep 18, 2006 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

izquierdaste

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Just starting out with diy and I am trying to work on a dac-ah. I have had some trouble with desoldering using a pump, so I thought that I'd try wick/braid. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for inexpensie, but decent desoldering wick/braid. I am looking to buy a small amount as I don't have any plans beyond the dac-ah for now. Hence, shipping charges are also important. I also need paste flux, so a place that has both would be useful. Of course, I can always go to radio shack if that is good enough. On ebay, I found 10 rolls of super wick for $15 delivered yelleman- one roll for $5 delivered or chemtronics chem-wik lite one roll for $6.

Thanks a lot!!

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
I've tried a bunch of the desoldering braids, and I find the Radio Shack stuff to be the easiest to work with for me. In fact, I have a bunch of types around, and everytime I run out of RS braid, I go out to buy more instead of using the other type, though the fact that I live across the street from Radio Shack might influence that.

Thanks for the reply... Is their paste flux any good? It seems a bit expensive at $6.

Thanks again

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 10
I also use the RadioShack ('The Source' in Canada now) desoldering wick. Seems to work alright, although I've never tried any other kind of wick.
You could probably get something comparatively 'better' if you look, but at the time when I bought mine I was convieniently at the Shack.

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 10
Well I use gootwick desoldering braid, works well and a guy that worked fitting mod chips to consoles recommended it. Atleast over here it's only slightly more expensive than generic stuff.

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 10
I believe if you order the flux from mouser you are required to choose UPS ground because of safety precautions. UPS ground is notorious for fees... well at least across the border.

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 10
What/where exactly the problem is?

On a PCB braid is usually good for SMD chips, but the rest is holes holes holes where pump works best. If the soldering pad is small, I'd try some thin braided copper wire, smth like gauge 24.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back