Recommendation for budget Focal Clear 4.4 balanced cable.. Help?
Aug 3, 2019 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cripple1

500+ Head-Fier
So.. Pretty straightforward. I'm looking for recommendations that'll fit a budget between $50-$100 US. I want to get a 4.4 balanced cable for the Focal Clear to use with a Sony WM1A DAP. Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JWH6JT7/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=AJ2PJNO98VCDO&psc=1

If not, I would appreciate recommendations from anyone willing to help me out. I could save up if I have to, but this is kind of a "right now" situation, so any knowledge offhand would help a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 9
So.. Pretty straightforward. I'm looking for recommendations that'll fit a budget between $50-$100 US. I want to get a 4.4 balanced cable for the Focal Clear to use with a Sony WM1A DAP. Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JWH6JT7/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=AJ2PJNO98VCDO&psc=1

The 3.5mm plug should fit, but like with 3.5mm plugs and smartphone cases, you need someone who has the same headphone to confirm it 100% since the shape of the headphone cup around the sockets could interfere with it. That said they look slim enough.

Your possible problem might be reliability. Not sure exactly what Focal means by "locking plugs" but if these pull down a bit just by their weight there's the possiblity that they might eventually wear out the socket.

Personally if you're not on a tight budget might as well order a spare cable from Focal, buy a 4.4mm TRRS, and have somebody cut off the 3.5mm or 6.3mm off that cable and solder on the new one. In case your headphones break at any point send in the cables it came with and don't send back the 4.4mm TRRS cable. Also even if they know you even used that one they can't cite it as a reason for the failure since you used their cable with their headphone side plugs.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 9
If you have the regular Clear you could just get an adapter (or have one made) for the 4-pin XLR balanced cable to 4.4mm TRRRS.
Alternately as Protege suggeted you could just reterminate the Balanced cable.
If you have the Clear Pro, I'm not sure if you can reterminate since I don't know how many wires are at the connector (if not 4, I guess you could reterminate to xlr at the y-split and have a long adapter cable)

If in US I see some cheap adapter options on Amazon. Alternately, Triton Audio (user alpha421 here on head-fi) make relatively affordable custom cables and adapters ($55 for adapter, 90 for cable http://tritonaudiocables.com/Triton-Copper-Stereo-or-Balanced-Headphone-Cable_p_16.html ) , or could probably modify your existing cable cable (any electronics repair shop should also be able to reterminate a cable if you provide the connector).

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 9
I actually have a bit of trouble getting around currently. I'm kinda bedridden, so getting out to places isn't an option, but I could just schedule a USPS pick up of the cables to send out to someone, if I have to, I guess. I appreciate the recommendations so far. I'll definitely check out Triton Audio, but like I said before.. I'm in a "need it now" situation, so I'm hoping for something I can have delivered within a few days. August 8th is my cutoff day.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 9
I actually have a bit of trouble getting around currently. I'm kinda bedridden, so getting out to places isn't an option, but I could just schedule a USPS pick up of the cables to send out to someone, if I have to, I guess. I appreciate the recommendations so far. I'll definitely check out Triton Audio, but like I said before.. I'm in a "need it now" situation, so I'm hoping for something I can have delivered within a few days. August 8th is my cutoff day.

I think his build times are usually pretty fast, can always shoot him a message here and ask... though build + mail time might be an issue for your deadline.
Do you have the Focal balanced cable? I noticed a few adapters on Amazon were listed as Prime: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4+pin+xlr+4.4mm

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Those Amazon options could be exactly what I need. Much appreciated. And I'll shoot him a message anyway and see what he says. It'll mostly be used from the WM1A, so an actual cable instead of an adapter is more my preference. But an adapter can work until I get some money for an actual decent cable to be made. Thank you

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Oct 17, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Mar 26, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Does 3.5 trs work on the focal clear mg?
looking to get 1 cable that works with Denon d9200 and focal clear mg aswell as beyerdynamic/hifiman since they use 3.5trs instead of mono 3.5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back