Recommendation for Bassy, Unamped Headphones
Jul 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by fqr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cant agree more with rjoseph. i just bought the ath m50 as an upgrade to my crappy senn hd210. i must confess i'm impressed how the sound, nice, deep and tight bass with sparkling, clear hights..even unamped!. moreover they react very good on eq-ing....and for the price they cost, i'm very satisfied... they are circumaural and fit comfortably... i use them with a fiio e5, i know its not hi-fi, but i like how this combination sounds with my cowon d2.... it's really fun to listen to all kinds of music...

Are you happy with your setup? If so, that's all that matters, whether "hi-fi" or not. I myself have the D2 too. Great little player, and works great with my Ultrasones as well.

Welcome to Head-Fi!
smile.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #17 of 36
Are the Sens IE8 or IE7 expensive there? I'm soon to get the IE8 for 200euros. Will then compare with my Creative EP-635, which should be very similar to the ones you have!
I also have the MDR-EX85 which came with my Sony A826. At first I thought they lacked in the treble as compared to the 635, but now after long hours of burn in I'm finding very similar to the 635. The EX85 are a little less sensitive so higher volumes must be used but the bass is slightly more punchy and deep thanks to the bigger 13mm driver.
I hear the new highend sonys' are even more bass heavy. Avoid armature-based 'phones because most of them don't have huge bass sound.

What source do you have? If you want deep, powerful, rich bass sound either you have a really good source like a sony, sansa, cowon player (although I haven't heard any form the last two brands), or you have to have a good amp. But it seems to me that you were quite happy with the 630's so I'm guessing you have a good source

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #19 of 36
Cheap and good BASSY headphone I know is Sennheiser PX-100 or Koss PortaPro, really BASSY, you should give it a try.
And it sounds insanely loud even from iPod heaphone out.

Clarity, I give more to PX-100, the bass is really hard hitting.

Bass quantity goes to the PortaPros, it's more mid-bass though, which it may sound good with hip-hop

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

cant agree more with rjoseph. i just bought the ath m50 as an upgrade to my crappy senn hd210. i must confess i'm impressed how the sound, nice, deep and tight bass with sparkling, clear hights..even unamped!. moreover they react very good on eq-ing....and for the price they cost, i'm very satisfied... they are circumaural and fit comfortably... i use them with a fiio e5, i know its not hi-fi, but i like how this combination sounds with my cowon d2.... it's really fun to listen to all kinds of music...

Welcome to Head-Fi. The m50 gets even better after they burn-in (60-70hrs).

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 36
Ultrasone Pro900
M-Audio Q40

Jul 5, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and those Koss phones aren't as bad as you'd think, well most are, but the Pro3AA is very good and has a lot of detail/speed.

I've read that the Pro3AA have a flimsy design and tend to break. I tend to take care of my stuff, so I don't know if this is a serious problem. I'm considering these as a second backup pair as they're cheap and have the bass I'm looking for. You mention they're similar to DT770, how are they in terms of clarity? Is the bass similar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can start with the PL/HFI-550/580 and up, here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...arison-401879/

Thank you. I've read your review - very helpful. Based on that and what others have been saying, I should be looking at the HFI-780, which is currently at the top of my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony XB500/XB700. Very nice bass for the price. Big, deep, full, and goes very low. I auditioned the XB500 and was impressed for the price. 79.00.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $200 you could get the XB700 for $81.46 shipped + an amp, that is, if you don't mind its styling. FWIR, that's how I would spend my money. An Ultrasone would be my second choice.

I've done a lot of research on the XB series, and the XB700 appears to fit my bill. Unfortunately they're expensive here (~$150) and out of stock everywhere. I don't really want to spend that much on a pair of Sony's, particularly when they can be had for half the price in the States. I'll keep looking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unamped from an iphone/itouch - Audio Technica ATH-m50. At $95-120 they are really good for a wide variety of music. I use mine from an itouch.

Quote:

Thanks for bringing these up. They are definitely at the top of my list with the HFI-780. Reviews look very good. I'm just wondering how the M50's perform compared to the 780's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_LX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Sens IE8 or IE7 expensive there? I'm soon to get the IE8 for 200euros. Will then compare with my Creative EP-635, which should be very similar to the ones you have!
I also have the MDR-EX85 which came with my Sony A826. ...
What source do you have? ...

I'm looking for closed full-size cans for home, not IEMs. Though I've been eying the IE8's after selling my SE530's. I would love to know how they sound compared to EP-635. Maybe I'll upgrade my portable rig as well
biggrin.gif
As for EX85, I actually owned them and returned them when I got my EP-630's for $13 shipped. As mentioned, sources are MBP and iPhone 3G.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheap and good BASSY headphone I know is Sennheiser PX-100 or Koss PortaPro, really BASSY, you should give it a try.
And it sounds insanely loud even from iPod heaphone out.

I'm looking for a little more isolation than those have to offer, but thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone Pro900
M-Audio Q40

Pro900 = too expensive. Q40 look interesting - I'll do some reading. Can anyone else comment on these?

Thanks again to everyone for contributing! You guys are a big help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #23 of 36
That has got to be the most masterful multiquote message I have ever seen. This man deserves a metal.

Personally I find that the Q40s have just a little tid bit more to give with a wee amp, but even unamped they still have nice bass. They don't do all that well with isolation though, although better than the portapros they never isolated as much as I wanted them to.

Then again at their price range (100ish online, or less in the FS section) you can get a nice portable amp as well. In fact I have a nuforce icon mobile that gave it that extra bit it needed, which at 100$ brings the total in under 200.

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #24 of 36
I mentioned these in another recommendation thread for a Canadian, but here are some closed options available to us along with store links that I think are worth exploring:
  1. M-Audio Q40 - Mentioned often along with the M50, easily driven, made for studio monitoring.
  2. Creative Aurvana Live - (Same drivers as Denon D1001) full-size closed back.
  3. JVC RX900 - These might not have as much bass as the previous mentioned but are closed back and there's a big impressions thread on here as well as [H].

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #25 of 36
Refurbished/used Sennheiser HD25-1 if you can find a pair, or as a budget alternative AKG k518dj's.(if you can consider going supra-aural)

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #27 of 36
thx for the welcome....
@KGB: sorry, can't compare to the hifi 780. i only had the chance to A/B listen some of the closed AT & beyer models in my lokal shop.
@rjoseph: hmm, i'm not sure about the burn-in thing,does it really exist, or isit me who burns in? anyway i'm constantly listening to music with the m50 in order to find out whether ther's a change in the sound.

..... but, back to topic: still can recommend the m50s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back