Recommendation for Bassy, Unamped Headphones
Jul 4, 2009 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

KGB

Head-Fier
Hi,

After a lot of reading, I need some help on choosing a set of bass-heavy headphones. I don't know if I'm a basshead or not, but I do enjoy lots of thump and clarity all around. I listen to mostly hip-hop, trance, house, pop, and some rock/alternative.

For reference, I've owned SE530's, which sounded great but IMO lacked bass when using an iPhone 3G and Macbook Pro as [my main] sources. I preferred the bassy sound of cheapo Creative EP-630's (Senn CX300) and ended up sticking with them for my portable rig.

I'm now looking for full-sized cans for home use, and I don't really want to spend money on an amp (unless I'm convinced otherwise). My budget is around $200, but the cheaper the better. I've heard mixed reviews about the DT770 Pro/80, but so far I like what I'm reading.

Any help would be appreciated
L3000.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 36
There are some super bassy Koss phones out there below $30 but they sound ok at best.

If you want something bassy and has a treble edge like the DT770, get the Koss Pro3AA. It reminds me a lot of the DT770, but that doesn't mean they sound the same, but rather they share the same characteristics.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some super bassy Koss phones out there below $30 but they sound ok at best.

If you want specific model numbers, please let me know.

Yup, I heard about the Koss, but I'm not looking for a set of cheapo cans again. Something mid-range is preferable, and I can increase my budget some if I find what I'm looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try some Ultrasones, great for electronic music.

Which in particular?

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 36
For those Ultrasones, I'd say the HiFi-780's. They have a ton of bass which is quite good FWIR.

Oh and those Koss phones aren't as bad as you'd think, well most are, but the Pro3AA is very good and has a lot of detail/speed.

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 36
The Shure SE530's lack bass? Wow, I think you may need to get some Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5EB or some Denon AH-D2000/5000. I was going to recommend the HD-650/600 for decent quality bass but since you mentioned non-amp solution then they are not good as the IEM's or some low impedance headphones.

I heard some Ultrasones have strong bass responses so you can try some of those too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

After a lot of reading, I need some help on choosing a set of bass-heavy headphones. I don't know if I'm a basshead or not, but I do enjoy lots of thump and clarity all around. I listen to mostly hip-hop, trance, house, pop, and some rock/alternative.

For reference, I've owned SE530's, which sounded great but IMO lacked bass when using an iPhone 3G and Macbook Pro as [my main] sources. I preferred the bassy sound of cheapo Creative EP-630's (Senn CX300) and ended up sticking with them for my portable rig.

I'm now looking for full-sized cans for home use, and I don't really want to spend money on an amp (unless I'm convinced otherwise). My budget is around $200, but the cheaper the better. I've heard mixed reviews about the DT770 Pro/80, but so far I like what I'm reading.

Any help would be appreciated
L3000.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 36
jvc harx900 has a ton of bass w/o an amp

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 36
Ultrasone HFI-550 or HFI-780 or other models (like Acix said). Plenty of bass. Awesome fun headphones.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 36
Unamped from an iphone/itouch - Audio Technica ATH-m50. At $95-120 they are really good for a wide variety of music. I use mine from an itouch.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 36
cant agree more with rjoseph. i just bought the ath m50 as an upgrade to my crappy senn hd210. i must confess i'm impressed how the sound, nice, deep and tight bass with sparkling, clear hights..even unamped!. moreover they react very good on eq-ing....and for the price they cost, i'm very satisfied... they are circumaural and fit comfortably... i use them with a fiio e5, i know its not hi-fi, but i like how this combination sounds with my cowon d2.... it's really fun to listen to all kinds of music...

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by fqr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cant agree more with rjoseph. i just bought the ath m50 as an upgrade to my crappy senn hd210. i must confess i'm impressed how the sound, nice, deep and tight bass with sparkling, clear hights... moreover they react very good on eq-ing....and for the price they cost, i'm very satisfied... they are circumaural and fit comfortably... i use them with a fiio e5, i know its not hi-fi, but i like how this combination sounds with my cowon d2.... it's really fun to listen to all kinds of music...

Welcome to Head-Fi, and congrats on your M50. It seems to be growing in popularity here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back