Recommendation for an upgrade from SHP9500s
Jan 26, 2019 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kism

Head-Fier
Hey, so I need help. I cannot decide what headphone to buy, or if I should even buy one at all.

Right now, I have the SHP9500s. I really enjoy the way they sound. They are my first pair of open-back headphones. Since then, I have tried a highly rated closed-back, the ATHM50x. I like the way it sounds, but it is not that comfortable, and I also do not enjoy the closed-off feeling since becoming used to the SHP9500s. I am planning on returning them and have picked out a relatively inexpensive IEM (CCA C10) for when I need isolation.

However, my mind is still itching to upgrade my open-backs. I know I don't necessarily need them, but I am craving a different, hopefully better pair of cans.

I listen to a lot of different kinds of music for many hours per day, watch videos, and also game (ps4, switch, pc, mobile) so comfort is really important. My favorite genre currently is progressive house. My main playlist is probably 60% EDM with the other 40% consisting of various styles of hip-hop, rock, and pop from all different time periods and from all over the world. The only types of music I rarely listen to are country, classical, and jazz. However, I do enjoy them occasionally and when aspects of these genres bleed into others, especially rock and edm.

My music is mostly coming from Spotify paid subscription through my phone (Samsung S9) or my PC motherboard(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157501).

I enjoy taking my headphones out sometimes when I go for walks in the woods/mountains, riding in the car, etc; but 99% of the time I am at home either sitting at my computer or somewhere else in the house (bed/couch/cleaning). I spend a lot of time alone, but my wife/children are here when not at work/school. I like to use my SHP9500s while I am cleaning like folding laundry or doing the dishes from my phone or my ipad.

I had thought I have narrowed it down to either of the massdrop sennheisers, 58x or 6xx, but then I have also heard praise for the Hifiman Sundara, Monolith M1060 and the Philips Fidelio x2. Not being able to try any out for myself is making this decision even harder. I don't think I want to spend any more than what these cost on headphones themselves right now.

I'm also torn on whether or not to buy an amp right away or try running them out of my current sources for a little while first. I was looking at the JDS Atom as something inexpensive to start out with at my desk, or one of the many portables I have looked at. However, none of the portables seem to output as much power as the atom, even entering the $300+ range, and I don't think I want to spend that much on an amp right now either.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 12
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X, my HTC One E9 phone can decently drive them.
I have zero regrets buying the HD58X.

The FiiO A3 headphone amplifier could be daisy chaining off just about any source,
Can be powered by USB or it's battery.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 12
have you tried modding them first?
50405211_10215498464748963_907968052153286656_o.jpg

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 12
I know the easiest phones to do portable would be the 58x which has me strongly considering them. Also, the fact that they are less expensive helps, too.

I have not tried modding my current headphones. I have read about people doing that before, but I don't feel comfortable and worried I might break them or something.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 12
all of the mods I did to my 9500s in the photo above either involved no tools at all, or simply a screwdriver....if you have opposable thumbs to hold a screw driver and the ability to rotate your wrist, you can do all of the mods...it's pretty easy and I think I spent less than $20 in materials.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Jan 27, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 12
However, my mind is still itching to upgrade my open-backs. I know I don't necessarily need them, but I am craving a different, hopefully better pair of cans.

What exactly do you want to improve on?

If what you want is something that improves on the strengths (well, most of them) of the SHP9500S, then there's the Grado RS2e.

I listen to a lot of different kinds of music for many hours per day, watch videos, and also game (ps4, switch, pc, mobile) so comfort is really important. My favorite genre currently is progressive house. My main playlist is probably 60% EDM with the other 40% consisting of various styles of hip-hop, rock, and pop from all different time periods and from all over the world. The only types of music I rarely listen to are country, classical, and jazz. However, I do enjoy them occasionally and when aspects of these genres bleed into others, especially rock and edm.

Problem there is the SHP9500S is basically a comfortable Grado, so on one aspect, you might be making a compromise. Otherwise you'll still probably enjoy the RS2e.

I enjoy taking my headphones out sometimes when I go for walks in the woods/mountains, riding in the car, etc; but 99% of the time I am at home either sitting at my computer or somewhere else in the house (bed/couch/cleaning). I spend a lot of time alone, but my wife/children are here when not at work/school. I like to use my SHP9500s while I am cleaning like folding laundry or doing the dishes from my phone or my ipad.

Since you ordered the IEMs why not just use that for most of those scenarios? That way noise like wind, a running faucet, a dryer or washing machine, etc, wouldn't get in the way of the music. And then just keep using the SHP9500S when everything's quieter. Using the SHP9500S with a higher noise floor just has that getting in the way of hearing what those headphones are capable of, particularly in the lower freqs, and your attention span is divided as well.

I had thought I have narrowed it down to either of the massdrop sennheisers, 58x or 6xx, but then I have also heard praise for the Hifiman Sundara, Monolith M1060 and the Philips Fidelio x2. Not being able to try any out for myself is making this decision even harder. I don't think I want to spend any more than what these cost on headphones themselves right now.

Apart from the X2 all those other headphones are going to need an amp otherwise they can sound somewhat "lazy" and "slow" compared to your SHP9500S. The X2 might still kind of sound like that but that's more from their frequency response that boosts the low end enough that you'd hear a lot more of the trailing edge of each bass note that you'd barely hear on the SHP9500S by comparison.

I'm also torn on whether or not to buy an amp right away or try running them out of my current sources for a little while first. I was looking at the JDS Atom as something inexpensive to start out with at my desk, or one of the many portables I have looked at. However, none of the portables seem to output as much power as the atom, even entering the $300+ range, and I don't think I want to spend that much on an amp right now either.

Unless you'll get very hard to drive headphones, consider the Meier Corda Rock or Rock FF and pair it with a Schiit Modi3 or a JDS ODAC Rev B when you get a DAC.

I know the easiest phones to do portable would be the 58x which has me strongly considering them. Also, the fact that they are less expensive helps, too.

150ohms and a slightly lower sensitivity isn't going to do you much favors if you're plugging these into a phone (or even a portable amp for that matter) over the sound of rushing water and clanging steel and ceramics given the entirely open back earcups.

It's like being in a Ferrari GTC4 in traffic. Sure, the seats are comfy, but the best you'll enjoy the engine is revving it. Although at least cranking it up by the sink won't have neighbors shaking their heads the same way people in cars around you would shake their heads when you rev the engine in traffic.

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the detailed response protege. I'm not sure how deep I want to go right now. The headphones and amps you have recommended look really nice, but cost more than I want to spend right now.

Honestly, I really like the way these SHPs sound, and I love that I can take them anywhere and plug them into anything. I read through the thread about modding them, but once you change the pads you can't go back because you have to rip off all the glue and stuff holding these on. So I don't know if I'll like different pads or prefer the ones already on them. I guess the thing I want to improve on the most is detail/resolution while keeping versatility. My favorite time of day for sure is when I am alone in the mornings just waking up. It's super quiet, and I just sit here at my PC enjoying the music. I would not mind having a nicer setup for this time of day. However, the sound of the heater next to me in the winter time, or the rushing water and humming of machines while doing chores doesn't seem to interfere with my music and just kind of mixes together to form a chill background in my head while I try and focus to get these things done.

The IEM was definitely more of an impulse buy as I just wanted something for when I don't feel good and just want to be alone and away from other sounds around me. I might use them while doing chores or going for walks, or I might use them at night when there are more people in my home watching TV/on their PCs, and I just don't want to hear their shows/games/talking on the phone, etc. I just hope I enjoy their sound quality, as I had to buy them completely based off reviews.

It's hard. There are no stores around me to go look at nicer headphones except for Best Buy and Guitar Center. A lot of the stuff recommended online you can't see or hear in person. I went with the SHPs and the CCAs because they're so cheap, <$50. I figure if I didn't like them it's not that big of a deal. If I drop $200 for a pair of 6xxs and then another $100 on an atom and hate them or don't feel that they're that much better than what I already have, I'm going to feel stupid. Not to mention, I can't cart around the pair through the woods on a hike or have this set up in my car to jam on my way to visit family, let alone bring it into the kitchen/laundry room.

I don't know what to do, or if I should just do nothing and let this craving pass. That's why I'm here looking for advice. I appreciate all that I have gotten so far.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 12
@kism You don't have to destroy the original pads. Some people want to retain a stock look so they take apart the old pads and use the plastic inside to attach the new pads. I prefer a more simple method. See how the pad goes around the outer edge of the headphones?
IMG_20190118_222203_169.jpg
Easy procedure: Unclick the old pads, put them in a box somewhere and forget where they are, and then simply attach the new pads to the headphones...a much easier procedure, it works great and you can re-install the old pads if you aren't happy with the new sound.

I totally get the desire for new headphones/improved sound quality...but If you like what you have and just want better, I think the cheapest way to get there since you already have some pretty good headphones with untapped potential would be:
1) Upgrade to new pads. I went the cheap route and got some knock-off HM5 hybrids for like $10, but I happened to try the Dekoni Elite Velours recently and I REALLY liked them on the 9500s. I think those are like $50...but that gives you a range to consider ($10-$50)
2) Magnets for the backs of the drivers, I ordered a bunch from China for around $5
3) A leather comfort strap. I made one for $3.00. I am going to post a how-to in the Mod Thread but basically I came up with the measurements I wanted, took it to a leather shop, picked out a scrap of leather I liked and had them cut it to the right size and punch some holes in it. It's super easy to install.
4) An amp. I have the Schiit Magni 3, you mentioned the Atom, that's another great choice. Here's a comparison video of several amps in that price range:

The pads will make the biggest difference in sound, followed by the amp, but the combination of all those mods really adds up and brings out the best in the 9500s... if you are frugal about it, the whole thing is less than a new set of headphones.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for the detailed response protege. I'm not sure how deep I want to go right now. The headphones and amps you have recommended look really nice, but cost more than I want to spend right now.

Honestly, I really like the way these SHPs sound, and I love that I can take them anywhere and plug them into anything.

The thing is, unless your goal is to totally revamp the sound, like get something more neutral or more neutral in the sense of not having problematic peaks but still have a wide mesa in the lower freqs vs the plains in the upper freq, and you just want to get more of what the SHP9500S does well, there's really no point in blowing more money on anything between the SHP9500S and the RS2e. Maybe the Meze 99 Classic (haven't tried it, this is something I'm basing just on what I've read) if you want a closed back headphone. On top of which, there's the high sensitivity of the SHP9500S, so if anything, being open back is its only real disadvantage and the only real reason to get the Meze 99 Classic.

If you didn't have the SHP9500S I'd tell you to just get an SR225e and stick with it for a long time, but as it is, you're going to spend a fair bit of money over something that you already have and I can't make any guesses with enough confidence as to whether the differences might be worth the expense for you.

I read through the thread about modding them, but once you change the pads you can't go back because you have to rip off all the glue and stuff holding these on. So I don't know if I'll like different pads or prefer the ones already on them.

Just note that that's inevitable in the long run since Philips doesn't support their headphones the way Sennheiser etc do. Not only will you not easily get spare parts, you can't get spare parts, period, and outside of warranty, I don't think they'll even take in your headphones to glue a new set of pads in.

Grados, well...unless the company goes belly up, they're going to be there for you. I chipped the gimbal on my SR225 and they sent me a new one for free.

I guess the thing I want to improve on the most is detail/resolution while keeping versatility. My favorite time of day for sure is when I am alone in the mornings just waking up. It's super quiet, and I just sit here at my PC enjoying the music. I would not mind having a nicer setup for this time of day. However, the sound of the heater next to me in the winter time, or the rushing water and humming of machines while doing chores doesn't seem to interfere with my music and just kind of mixes together to form a chill background in my head while I try and focus to get these things done.

If you're the sort who interprets detail as "more/sharper treble," then the RS2e might not be the right one. Look into the SR325e. And that one's cheaper too.

There are no stores around me to go look at nicer headphones except for Best Buy and Guitar Center. A lot of the stuff recommended online you can't see or hear in person. I went with the SHPs and the CCAs because they're so cheap, <$50. I figure if I didn't like them it's not that big of a deal. If I drop $200 for a pair of 6xxs and then another $100 on an atom and hate them or don't feel that they're that much better than what I already have, I'm going to feel stupid. Not to mention, I can't cart around the pair through the woods on a hike or have this set up in my car to jam on my way to visit family, let alone bring it into the kitchen/laundry room.

Based on what you want out of the sound a more neutral response like any of those headphones listed there aren't exactly what you should be getting.

It's hard...

I don't know what to do, or if I should just do nothing and let this craving pass. That's why I'm here looking for advice.

The best advice I can give you is to just enjoy listening to the SHP9500S. When the earpads are too mushed then contemplate on whether you'd bother modding them or by that time you've saved more cash and can get an SR325e or RS1e. Or a PS500e.

I mean last November I attended a local HiFi show and tried out the Utopia vs my HD600 on a new variable output impedance transformer coupled Cayin tube amplifier. I walked away confirming that I don't need to blow three grand (PhP200,000 in local currency thanks to import taxes and dealer mark ups) and came home, hooked up my HD600 to my Meier Corda Cantate.2, put my feet up, docked my phone, and hit Play when Neutron Music Player launched.

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 12
Alright Luke, you talked me into it. I have some Brainwavz angled hybrid pads coming my way. Should be here by Wednesday.
Good choice. :) Hopefully you will be happy. I would advise you to give your ears some time to adjust to them, because they will change the sound. Often people do things like swap out pads and their first response is to reject it and think ,"well THAT didn't work" and get frustrated.
Also, it never came up, but are you using any kind of EQ program on your phone? For example I use Dolby Atmos for Mobile and it works really well. It can't totally alter the sound of the headphones, but it can tame highs, or boost the bass a little depending on what your headphones need. People sometimes turn up their nose at EQing, but that makes as much sense to me as never using hot sauce or salt on your food. We all have different tastes, there's no logical reason to not take advantage of an easy adjustment to suit your tastes.
Good luck, let us know how you like them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back