Recommendation for an op-amp
Aug 11, 2005 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Scorpio(DDMF)

Head-Fier
Hi,

After I removed the mute transistors on my cd-player, the whole system's sound "brightened", thus giving me ear fatigue quite fast.
Current op-amp in the cd-player's I/U section , the op275, was replaced with some cheap JRC, giving me more ear-firendly sound, but I want something better
biggrin.gif

Can somebody recommend me an op-amp with good bass (low bass), nice imaging and clarity, but with an laidback sound signature (eg. not so prominent highs)? An neutral op-amp would be nice also, so I can decide wich will fit my needs better, also please keep it on the cheap side (eg. 10 $ max.) cos' I will have to pay for the shipping, wich may be expensive (check my location
rolleyes.gif
)...

I did some searching, and found that something like AD8066 or OPA637 (but the OPA637 is a little pricey), might do the trick...

What do you think?

Cheers...

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio(DDMF)
Hi,

Can somebody recommend me an op-amp with good bass (low bass), nice imaging and clarity, but with an laidback sound signature (eg. not so prominent highs)? An neutral op-amp would be nice also, so I can decide wich will fit my needs better, also please keep it on the cheap side (eg. 10 $ max.) cos' I will have to pay for the shipping, wich may be expensive (check my location
rolleyes.gif
)...

Ths4601($15 at digikey) or ths4631d($8.33 at digikey), wouldn't recommend the 637 because it is high gain only. Also the AD8066 is a dual opamp, the 8065 is the single version.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 7
The OP275 you originally had was a dual-channel opamp so you need to replace it with also a dual. BTW I don't recommend slapping in an opamp that is dramatically faster than the original because your PCB layout and other surrounding parts (compensation caps, supply rail decoupling, etc) may not be right for such an opamp. What you'd end up with might be unstable or oscillate.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 7
i realize this is a radical concept: how about linear freq eq with few pF C in the mute Q holes? just think... a single trimmer cap could replace >1/2 doz op amp substitutions and allow "in between" settings too

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Thx for the recomendations Jazper!

About the op-amp speed: Well, there were initially 2x NE5532, then I put op275 + AD627, and now there are JRC (something cheap) + AD627. No oscilations so far... I'm in luck
biggrin.gif

I forgot to check if the 637 is an dual op-amp, my mistake...

2 Jcx: That is radical, would do that, but I need more low bass, so the current op-amp is out of the quesion... Still a nice idea...

2 Amb: What would be your suggestion?

Cheers...
280smile.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 7
If you really mean OPA627 when you say "AD627", these are single-channel opamps. So is the OPA637. At any rate these are expensive.

OPA2132, OPA2134, OPA2604, OPA2107 are all reasonable dual-channel opamps to try since you're looking for a laid back sound.

AD8066 is only available in SOIC-8 and requires an adapter to fit the DIP-8 socket, also it is rated at only 24V so it may not be appropriate for your circuit (it depends on what voltage the circuit supplies to the opamp), and AD8066 is much faster than all of the opamps you've tried so far so I would hesitate to recommend it for your application.

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
If you really mean OPA627 when you say "AD627", these are single-channel opamps.

Sorry, I was in a hurry, I ment the AD826...

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
So is the OPA637. At any rate these are expensive.
OPA2132, OPA2134, OPA2604, OPA2107 are all reasonable dual-channel opamps to try since you're looking for a laid back sound.

OK, Thx.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
AD8066 is only available in SOIC-8 and requires an adapter to fit the DIP-8 socket, also it is rated at only 24V so it may not be appropriate for your circuit (it depends on what voltage the circuit supplies to the opamp), and AD8066 is much faster than all of the opamps you've tried so far so I would hesitate to recommend it for your application.

OK, so that rules out the AD8066: it may be too fast, and the opamp's power supply in the circuit is 2x15V...

Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back