Recommendation for AMP/Dac combo for HD650 and in the future HD800
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #31 of 32
Quote:
Initially I just wanted an upgrade to pc360 but it seems it will be a costly one :) HD650 +nuforce icon hdp as a cheap and good setup was my first choice after a few weeks of reading. However after discovering more details about Hd800 technical specs really made me interested in it. Unfortunately some combo amp and dacs seem not to do it justice. After doing a lot of research here on the forum I came to the conclusion that in the end I will upgrade anyway so I'm wondering if it would not be better to wait few months more and get good setup right away. It would also save me the hassle of reselling some of the components in the process. All this makes the title of the thread obsolete.

My music preference is split I agree. I was under the impression HD800 with proper amp would serve both as it is great for classical and good with vocals. I will audition HD650  and T1 for comparison.

ATM I would say my budget is 2k euro for all - making a purchase in October. Might make it 3k and delay 3 -4 months. If sennheiser amp will not best it I am going to choose v200 and either start with some cheap dac and upgrade later or wait and get v800 dac. No fancy power cables or silver interconnects. 

If you would recommend other setups for presented type of music I would be grateful.

I think you're just rushing it too much. The beauty about head-fi is learning the components, finding your own signature and what you like. In my opinion you can't go from a 1972 Fiat to a 2012 Ferrari. Well of course you can but what if you want a pickup-truck instead?

What I'm trying to say is. Take it easy.... Don't let the "gotta have it all as soon as possible" kill the joy of finding out what "it all" actually is for you.

If I were you i'd buy a used pair of HD650 (ca 300 USD used)+ a Darkvoice/La Figaro amp (300 to 500 USD used)+ A musical DAC lite Haldide HD or MSII+ (250-400 USD used). Invest "wisely" in the components and you'll get fantastic sound for about 1050 USD used. If you then want to upgrade that rig will work great with alot... 

Going for the V800 DAC is a bit pushing it. First you talk about ODAC and then the V800? Quite a big difference price-wise. The V200 amp is a good amp, very tubey for a solid state. But if you're interested in Senn's, why not go for real tubes. A OTL amp like Darkvoice/La Figaro/Bottlehead Crack + Speedball etc...

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #32 of 32
I mention v200 as it is well regarded by many headfiers, pairs with many headphones and it is difficult to find bad reviews for it. Also 3y warranty is a big factor for me as well as it has tube character.

I am a bit scared by tubes themselves as they have to be warmed up and I would need to keep some spares just in case.

I do agree that it is rushing things but at the same time  I think the end result would be similar. And I still have 2 months to make up my mind.

I mentioned v800 as it has even more stellar reviews then v200 amp and these 2 would match not only in the looks. The choice of dac remains open though as I was thinking about starting with odac mostly due to budget constraints and leaving that part to upgrade in time. I will need amp first to be able to do home tests of headphones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back