Recommendation for AMP/Dac combo for HD650 and in the future HD800
Aug 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
I was with you 95% of the way until that little jab at Schiit! I've own a butt load of amps over the last 20+years, and the Schiit products are top notch. In the case of the Valhalla, it's by no means over-hyped. 
The Burson's are over-hyped(imo). I got to use one last year for about 2 months, and my old Modded XcanV3 left the Burson in the dust. I have not heard the La Figaro 339, but looks to be a sound design.

In your opinion, does the Asgard get close to the Burson? Did you have the two at the same time? 

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

In your opinion, does the Asgard get close to the Burson? Did you have the two at the same time? 

Sorry, I've never run an Asgard, I'm tempted to buy one of Ebay, as there's two of them for under $200. But I'd be wasting money, as I have no need for one.

The Burson I used was a 160, and it had a flat lifeless sound. If I'd payed $1k. for it, I'd be pissed.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
HRT MusicStreamer II+ 2012 Ed. seems to be 350-400 new in Europe making it still quite expensive. How does it compare to HRT MusicStreamer II - its older version which is also a lot cheaper.

Btw if you were considering the Plus version, may I point you to another interesting DAC ? Google for JKDAC32 - it has some good reviews going on e.g. like this:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0412/usb_dac_shootout.htm

Similar concept to the music streamer but powered by battery (for clean power) + native 32/384 playback support and from what I understand should be better than the Musicstreamer II Plus (however it also costs more - 500e, but from what I've been reading it should be one of the best DACs for value / money atm). Maybe someone with more experience could comment on JKDAC32 vs. Musicstreamer II Plus sound quality  and value / money ?

If I could resolve mine Burson HA-160 over USB DAC noise problems I would be very much interested in trying one of the JKDACS. Unfortunately they don't support linux (I could live with that) but what's worse the audio playback introduces slight delay (playback isn't in real time) thus it's not usable for gaming and pain in the a** for movies / youtube) - but I would still like to at least try it. It should be great imo if the only thing you care about is the best music quality possible for under 500e.

Btw may I ask - do you already own the HD 650 ? Or else why would you want start with HD650 and then switch to HD 800 ? I mean why not to start with something that is known to be closer to HD 800 - like AKG 70x. Should make the transition to HD 800 much smoother. I mean I've heard K701, I own Q701 and HD 650 and find it difficult to imagine that someone could like HD 650 and K701 on the same DAC + amp combo (not saying it's impossible, just wondering if you heard them both and liked them both)

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #19 of 32
I do not have HD650. Initially I was going to get HD800 and a cheap amd/dac but after reading a lot of opinions it seems that would be bad idea. 
So for now it looks like best option would be to either go for cheap amp/dac (400) + same value headphones or wait half a year more for HD800 with better source.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:
i drive my hd650's just fine through a fiio e10/e17, trust me you'll be pleased

I used to think I drove my HD650 fine via the headphone jack on my Marantz PM7004. That changed when I realized I could drive them better via my Leckerton Audio UHA-4, that changed.... Fubar IV Plus... that changed.... Burson HA-160D, that changed.... La Figaro 339 w/ stock tubes, that changed... La Figaro with Tung Sol 5998's + RCA Reds 5693...

There's always a point where costs meet performance.

My humble opinion is that Darkvoice (now: La FIgaro) are probably the best amps from a performance/cost-ratio for high-impedance headphones like Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser HD600/650/800 etc. Add up a good DAC with a wide and high soundstage and the satisfaction is guaranteed.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:
I do not have HD650. Initially I was going to get HD800 and a cheap amd/dac but after reading a lot of opinions it seems that would be bad idea. 
So for now it looks like best option would be to either go for cheap amp/dac (400) + same value headphones or wait half a year more for HD800 with better source.

I'd buy a pair of used HD650's, there are a lot in the For Sale-section + a used Darkvoice/La Figaro, there's a supermodified Darkvoice 336 in the for sale. I'd recommend it "blindly".

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:
I'd buy a pair of used HD650's, there are a lot in the For Sale-section + a used Darkvoice/La Figaro, there's a supermodified Darkvoice 336 in the for sale. I'd recommend it "blindly".

2X on the used HD650. Any number of amps would be great choices, but something like the Valhalla would leave lots of room for future tube rolling w/ the HD800. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #24 of 32
I must ask one thing though... Why HD650 and then HD800?
Since they sound quite different...

As a HD650-"upgrader" the LCD-2 has the same soundsignature but "better". As someone stated previously AKG Q701/K701 is more like the little brother of HD800. However, they're about 60 Ohms.

Just want to understand your reasoning. Do you like Sennheiser as a brand or is it the fact that they're both 300 Ohms?

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #25 of 32
Sennheiser as a brand, after getting their PC360 headset 2 years ago which impressed me with quality and durability. At the time of creating topic I was not sure yet which one to go for but I know that upgrades will come sooner or later. ATM I leaning towards hd800 with amp + Odac and getting a good dac next year. Purchase and final decisions in October after we know more about Sennheiser amp.
I will get headphones for home testing before buying.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #26 of 32
If you're going for a high-end headphone you should try Audez'e LCD-2 / HD800 / Beyerdynamic T1 etc...

What music do you listen to? How light-weight should the headphone be etc... I advise you to not buy just by the "Sennheiser"-brand since if you look at their high-end products
HD650 / HD700 / HD800 / IE8 etc.. They have a somewhat different sound signature...

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #27 of 32
I'm mostly thinking about HD800 as they are supposed to be light and comfortable - I would use headphones 5-7 h a day.

As far as the music is concerned it is 40% classical (various symphonic composers) 40% Within Temptation, Tarja Turunen, Nightwish type of music and remainder various performers from other genres. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:
If you're going for a high-end headphone you should try Audez'e LCD-2 / HD800 / Beyerdynamic T1 etc...

What music do you listen to? How light-weight should the headphone be etc... I advise you to not buy just by the "Sennheiser"-brand since if you look at their high-end products
HD650 / HD700 / HD800 / IE8 etc.. They have a somewhat different sound signature...

HD650's are HiEnd. They are one of the few headphones that have passed the test of time.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:
I'm mostly thinking about HD800 as they are supposed to be light and comfortable - I would use headphones 5-7 h a day.

As far as the music is concerned it is 40% classical (various symphonic composers) 40% Within Temptation, Tarja Turunen, Nightwish type of music and remainder various performers from other genres. 

I'm not saying that they're not high-end. They used to be a flagship model only 3-4 years ago.

However, since he's already talking about buying the HD800, it would be wise to audition the similarly priced models compared to it.
Some people have already decided to jump for the flagship model even though I'd invest my money differently.

Quote:
HD650's are HiEnd. They are one of the few headphones that have passed the test of time.

Classical music and "Modern" Symphonic Metal are two quite different genres.

What is your price limit? How much do you want to spend for your rig?

Aug 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #30 of 32
Initially I just wanted an upgrade to pc360 but it seems it will be a costly one :) HD650 +nuforce icon hdp as a cheap and good setup was my first choice after a few weeks of reading. However after discovering more details about Hd800 technical specs really made me interested in it. Unfortunately some combo amp and dacs seem not to do it justice. After doing a lot of research here on the forum I came to the conclusion that in the end I will upgrade anyway so I'm wondering if it would not be better to wait few months more and get good setup right away. It would also save me the hassle of reselling some of the components in the process. All this makes the title of the thread obsolete.

My music preference is split I agree. I was under the impression HD800 with proper amp would serve both as it is great for classical and good with vocals. I will audition HD650  and T1 for comparison.

ATM I would say my budget is 2k euro for all - making a purchase in October. Might make it 3k and delay 3 -4 months. If sennheiser amp will not best it I am going to choose v200 and either start with some cheap dac and upgrade later or wait and get v800 dac. No fancy power cables or silver interconnects. 

If you would recommend other setups for presented type of music I would be grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back