Recommendation for active phones for big head
Aug 18, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MoJoWales

New Head-Fier
Hello forum, first post here.
I'm looking for some recommendations for workout phones. My limiting factors are: I am a big male with a big head and neck (6ft 4 inches with a +22 inch neck), would like to spend no more than 100 dollars US, need to be sweat compliant or resistant. I will be using these with a Sandisk Sansa 4gb clip. I work out with weights, run, and mountain bike. I prefer balanced sound with no extra emphasis on base. I have learned that my workout equipment will probably be broken or lost before wearing out so I would like to stay in the one hundred dollar or less range. I currently use a cheap pair of Philips scb hs386 with an Insignia ns-da2g. My gf broke her matching player and "borrowed" mine hence the new clip. I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser cx300b rtl. They have a good sound, a bit base heavy with muddled mids, but don't seem to stay put well enough for me to really be moving around allot. Also, these have been "borrowed" for use around the house and grass cutting by the GF. I have been considering the Sony MDR-AS50G, Sennheiser MX-75 Sport, Sennheiser MX-70 Sport, the Nike/Philips around/bellow the neck active phones, and even the Koss KSC75.
I don't demand that the new phones blow me away when listening to "Bridge Over Troubled Water", one of my favorite tests' for speakers, in my price range but clear and balanced are a plus.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

MoJoWales

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 13
Welcome to Head-Fi, MojoWales! And as tradition dictates: "Sorry about your wallet".

I can't speak to the other headphones you listed, but I can vouch for the Koss KSC75. They sound great, they're very comfortable regardless of head size, and they're also pretty durable. I don't hestate to throw then in a gym bag, and it for some reason they do come apart, the speaker/earclip assembly snaps back together without any problem. I also like wearing them when excercising outside because they're not completely isolative, allowing me to hear traffic, etc. And they're cheap enough for you to buy the GF her own pair.

Hope this helps.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Since you seem to like the Senns, I would go with the OMX70 Sport, it even has a shirt clip to help keep them in place and they sound really great for the price (around $30 on Amazon). They are sweat resistant too.

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the replies. In regards to the Koss KSC75, how well do they anchor to your ears? I've read the reviews about the exceptional sound for the price but have not seen their on-head stability stressed much. In regard to the Senns, how do the active series' sound compare to the cx300? If you own them, could you elaborate on the fit to your particular head size? Has anyone had experience with the Sony MDR-AS50G? Cnet, bad reference I know, talks them up but not much else about them. Anyone try the nike phones? They look comfortable but small, maybe weak sound? I might just try to narrow down to 2 choices and them buy them both for these prices and then have a decent spare.

Thank you,

MoJoWales

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 13
It is prophetic. The KSC75s are a no brainer, but not because they're sure to fit. It depends on what kind of ears you have, see? But they sound great, you can sweat on them, and they're cheap. So if they don't work, get something else and give your 75s away (or something). That said, x2 on the Senns. They've got a few in their sports range, and they all sound pretty good. Are they all green in the States too, though? Hmm...

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 13
Sony's AS series are sweat-proof and nice stylings (with a stability tip).
I have the AS20J earloop ones.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 13
The OMX's I think are better than the CX300's (I have owned both). I find the bass on the CX300's to be a little to muddy and overwhelming, not so with the OMX's. There is a bit of bass coming through them, but since they are not IEM it is not overwhelming and you can't really tell how much bass is coming through. They fit just perfect on my head, you can adjust everything you need to on them. The little pole like thing that the earpiece is attached to can be lengthened or shortened to fit you just fine and they come with three different types of earpiece coverings to give you the best comfort.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Good replies. Yes, the Senns are neon green here too. So they sound better than the cx300's? Might have a winner there.
How do the Sony AS's sound. They look like they would stay put but little info on the sound.
I am going to buy a pair of the KSC75's and either one of the Senns sport OR the Sonny's, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thank you,

MoJoWales

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 13
I might agree on the MX vs. CX issue. On A-B comparisons, I definitely liked my MX90VCs better (over my 300s, which I then sold). I suppose they're close to the MX75 Sports than the OMX70s, but the differences aren't great, I don't think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back