Recommendation for a portable smartphone DAC ~100-300e
Jun 14, 2020 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Vepromon

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I`ve recently decided to go for DUNU DK 3001 Pro, and i need as-small-as-possible portable DAC to use with my smartphone, on the move.

What im looking for:
- Music i prefer is Rock/Metal/Symphonic (I like some good evergreens like Queen and Billy Joel, but that`s on occasion)
- What i need from this DAC is to be as small and practical as possible. because i will use it on the go, in my pocket most of the time.
- I would prefer to avoid the DAC with batteries.
- Im not sure do i relay need MQA, because most of my music comes from Deezer, but i leave that up to you for recommendation.

My favorites so far are:
- Dragonlfly Black 1.5 (would consider others, if you think theya re realy worth it)
- Cozoy Tract Pro DAC
- IBasso DC02
- xDuoo Link
- Zorloo Ztella MQA
- HIDIZS Sonata HD 2

Would also consider the ES100 MK2 or something simillar, if its realy better and worth it above all others i`ve mentioned.

At this point i think that Zorloo or Hidizs/DF Black would be the best solution, but i cant pull the trigger until i hear what do you boys and girls think about it?

Many thanks for you honest opinion :)

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 14
My personal favourite is the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. About $40 USD, may be cheaper during sales (there's a big aliexpress sale starting in less than a day or so).

I wrote a small review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/reviews#item-review-23794

Superb set for the price, almost can hit my desktop setup's sound at a fraction of the price. In fact I'm likely gonna buy a second set at the upcoming sale. BTW, buy the Pro version, not the non Pro one. The non Pro is a few bucks cheaper but the extra money spent on the Pro version is way worth it.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for your input. I will certainly have this in mind. It looks realy good from what you wrote about it. Still, cant belive its better than Dragonfly or some other DACs on my list since its that cheap...

I will look it up when it comes on sale on Ali, and then compare with others :)

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for your input. I will certainly have this in mind. It looks realy good from what you wrote about it. Still, cant belive its better than Dragonfly or some other DACs on my list since its that cheap...

I will look it up when it comes on sale on Ali, and then compare with others :)

@Vepromon you can check out Audioscience review for objective measurements on most of the current DACs. Here's a table of comparisons:

Best portable dac headphone amp review 2020.png

Dragonfly red doesn't rate very highly here, considering its price. It is in the red zone of the above table. I think the Dragonfly red has higher output for more power hungry gear, but the chip inside is the same as the Dragonfly black (correct me if I'm mistaken).

The Hidizs S8 is actually the same internally as the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, just that the Sonata HD Pro is an OEM version of it at half the price. Audioscience review is quite impressed by it: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

You'll realize in this hobby that price does not correlate with sound quality, especially in the last 2 - 3 years when CHIFI sound quality has really evolved leaps and bounds. Even some of the TOTL western sets I've heard (which some may be made in China anyway) may be slight improvements over some midfi CHIFI, but at big diminishing returns.

Though at the end of the day, measurements as above may not correlate with what we're able to hear.

Good luck in your search friend! Hope the others can advise too!

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 14
I'ver read the review. Impressive.
So, this S8 is better than Sonata HD 2?
What about the MQA? Is it worth chasing after it, and ultimately paying more for it?

Yes i own the Sonata HD 2 and the Tempotec Sonata Pro (aka Hidizis S8) is better than it for a few dollars more.

I don't use MQA actually, so I think best to ask someone else for their advise on it.

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 14
Any other suggestions?
If not, ill go for Tempotec Sonata Pro. Was thinking if any1 knows how it comapres to Zrollo Ztella (more compact) and ES100 Mk2 (nice Eq and features)?
My main goal is sound quality in any case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back