Recommendation for a new DAP
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mb2bm55

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Thanks for taking some time to read my post. Have enjoyed reading many reviews on this site and the users have helped me find many products. Currently I am trying to set up a portable option for use with an event company I work for. I am looking for a DAP with as many of the following features as possible:

Video playback with good codec support (.mp4, .mov, MKV support preferably) @ 1080p and at least HDMI, Component out (preferably a minidisplay port out so I can also do VGA)

microSD expansion slot (XC obviously would be very nice)

32 GB preferable but as long as there are expansion slots then I am ok with it.

Strong Music codec support (.Flac, .wav etc)

Can play videos and sound simultaneously through video out and microphone jack. Either this or the ability to play sound through the component/hdmi output in addition to videos. Dual channel output capability would be a nice feature (RCA, component..)

Can play when plugged in to charge (I saw a few couldn't do this)

Can create both video and music playlists on the device itself.

Wifi (wireless n preferable but not essential)

Bluetooth (support for a remote control would be ideal)

Additionally, a duplicate display option would be nice if I wanted to control the device via remote control and could put the UI up on an extended TV display. Not essential but would definitely be a nice feature

Due to multiple users, a non-Apple product would be preferable.

Price is important

As far as the application I am using the device for- I need to be able to play youtube videos, Music videos (preferably match high quality audio tracks with the videos) and playlists of music videos. A DAP is essential because it is going to be used by multiple users and portability is a requirement (My laptop or tablet with DAC's etc will not suffice). Its for offsite events which means ultra portability and the quality of sound, video is important because it will be feeding into various sizes/types of systems- though sound less so (the DAP will generally not be the quality bottleneck). Unpredictability of available connections means versatility in outputs is a plus- fewer adapters I have to lug around.

I saw that the Cowon D3 supports the majority of these features. I do wonder as to the device's video/music playlist capability, the ability to play video/music while charging (I believe the i10 cannot?) and I would prefer a device with microSD-XC expansion slots to the HC ones on the D3 as well as wireless-n capacity. Also I am unsure as to whether the D3 supports a Bluetooth remote control. Also I was unable to find information on audio output via hdmi/component outputs. The manufacturer-specific video out ports are also turn off vs. a more universal mini-display port option. The price is right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back