Recommendation for a natural but clear sounding set of headphones? HD598?
Jul 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FoReIgnMoLe

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm in search for a new set of headphones.  I just bought an Aune T1 Tube Amp/DAC and I really want to upgrade my pair of HD439s to go along with the Aune T1.  I listen to mostly pop, jazz, rock, country, acoustic, and some occasions classical.  I'm in search for a nice natural (maybe neutral but I still want some "fun" or "smoothness"  and "warmth" to the sound) and clear sounding set of headphones.  I heard the HD598s should do fine; however, I've heard that they can sound pretty dark and unclear sometimes.  I don't have access to trying them out; however, I have tried out the Beyerdynamic DT880s 250OHM which I actually really liked in terms of balance and neutral sound (except for the treble sometimes, most times i thought the treble was beautiful, smooth, and sparkly).  I was actually going to go with them, but I was afraid if they may get pretty dry and not so fun sounding. My budget is about $250 maybe $300 if I need to.  I'm thinking like good sounding headphones that would sound good with Santana but also like something like Taylor Swift (haha don't judge) and a Joe Hisaishi soundtrack (classical music soundtrack from the Miyazaki movies out there like Spirited Away haha).  I'm not a bass head; however, I like bass that drives the song enough to feel the song but not overpower the sound.  I thought the Beyers had nice bass depth on the DT880 but way too much on the DT770. I was also considering the DT990 (I have not tried them out nor do I have access to them), but I've heard their bass could be overpowering and fatiguing highs. I'm open to any other suggestion too. 

Thanks xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back