Recommendation for a laid-back, relaxed open back headphone for rock and prog-metal
Jul 14, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #16 of 24
Thank you all!
@earmonger @Corti The ATH-R70X looks interesting and it's available on Amazon, so fuss-free buy. May I ask how do you think it would fare with artists like porcupine tree or opeth?
Is it too much for it?
Resolve in his review says it doesn't handle well busy passages (from a detail retrieval and separation perspective).
just had a listen at the bands you mentioned.
porcubine tree is what they do very well. mostly acoustic and soft-ish vocals, some distorted guitars. but idk if thats just their newer stuff, havent listened into all albums.

opeth has easy tracks too but also some different ones, some seem to have more bass-guitar and heavy distorted low-tuned tracks + guttural vocals (e.g. ghost of perdition).
while i would still enjoy that on the r70x, this is where i start switching to my denon ah-d7200 and akg k245 / k371, they just deliver those
lower notes with more impact and body. but those headphones are way less comfortable.. it's always a matter of what suits the situation.

one thought about resolves r70x review: if i remember correctly it was the time when he also reviewed the sundara and the hd660s and he was absolutely digging the sundara's sound. plus he always mentiones how he advocates planar magnetics sound in general.
and indeed if i had auditioned sundara and r70x at the same time i probably would have gone with the sundara as well, sound-wise only. i think it 'wows' more with its sparkly treble, imaging and all.
but i've come to realize how important comfort is, it does affect your mood and lastly how you perceive music.. so in the end i wouldnt want to part with any of the mentioned hp's (for now). it's great to have many pairs for any mood.

but again, for easy laid-back open-back and comfortable, R70x all the way.
gotta add that i have rather small ears, which fit very well into the earpads, no need to swap. if you have large ears that might be a draw-back. same goes for the wing-fit-system. i just wish the R70x had tiltable earcups, they only do swivel.

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #17 of 24
just had a listen at the bands you mentioned.
porcubine tree is what they do very well. mostly acoustic and soft-ish vocals, some distorted guitars. but idk if thats just their newer stuff, havent listened into all albums.

opeth has easy tracks too but also some different ones, some seem to have more bass-guitar and heavy distorted low-tuned tracks + guttural vocals (e.g. ghost of perdition).
while i would still enjoy that on the r70x, this is where i start switching to my denon ah-d7200 and akg k245 / k371, they just deliver those
lower notes with more impact and body. but those headphones are way less comfortable.. it's always a matter of what suits the situation.

one thought about resolves r70x review: if i remember correctly it was the time when he also reviewed the sundara and the hd660s and he was absolutely digging the sundara's sound. plus he always mentiones how he advocates planar magnetics sound in general.
and indeed if i had auditioned sundara and r70x at the same time i probably would have gone with the sundara as well, sound-wise only. i think it 'wows' more with its sparkly treble, imaging and all.
but i've come to realize how important comfort is, it does affect your mood and lastly how you perceive music.. so in the end i wouldnt want to part with any of the mentioned hp's (for now). it's great to have many pairs for any mood.

but again, for easy laid-back open-back and comfortable, R70x all the way.
gotta add that i have rather small ears, which fit very well into the earpads, no need to swap. if you have large ears that might be a draw-back. same goes for the wing-fit-system. i just wish the R70x had tiltable earcups, they only do swivel.
Thank you very much, I really appreciate the time and effort you spent in this in depth reply. This forum is full of awesome people!

I completely agree with you about comfort, moreover I really like my sundara (well, I could say i liked them cause since i got the arya they just don’t make much sense) and they made me dive into this world. But I can’t listen to them while I work… like 5 minutes after I get headache.

I think I’ll buy the r70x shortly, they almost seem exactly what I’m looking for and the price tag is reasonable.
I have two pair of relaxed cans (Focal listen and senn pxc 550 II) but they are both closed back and I can’t use them while working.

Opeth turned into a more soft, prog rock\metal band in the last albums, while porcupine tree is more of a trip-prog rock band.

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #18 of 24
Hello guys/gals, lately I've been experiencing fatigue with my cans if I listen to them while working. I guess they all are attention-requiring headphones which makes them not good for background listening.

My search hasn't been very successful, the only one I've actually found is the Sennheiser hd650 which as I read is not ideal for my music taste (busy passages with a lot of heavy sounds/instruments). The grados scares me with comfort and attached cables. Meze seems too expensive and probably they have too much mid-bass anyway.

My budget is somewhat ethereal, It could be like around 500-700 for a regular buy, or 1500ish for a special occasion (I'll hit 40 soon, so... a nice present for myself?). I was looking toward ZMF Aeolus, but I live in Europe...

Give me your best!

HD600?
1657809235725.png

Jul 14, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #19 of 24
May I ask how do you think it would fare with artists like porcupine tree or opeth?
I listen to both of those bands. Both have "mellow" stuff, and some stuff is harder and faster. Older Opeth would probably benefit from a faster driver, whereas their later stuff doesnt really need a lightning fast impulse response to sound good. I guess it boils down to "how much proggy death metal do you listen to"?

The ZMF Verite open has a very, very fast driver, but is quite revealing, so any stuff that has less than stellar production value can be less enjoyable vs. a headphone that is more forgiving of such material.

The ZMF Atrium isnt quite as fast sounding as the VO, but is plenty fast for my tastes. For me, as long as dbl kicks and busy passages do not become a muddy blur, im good. The Atrium handles both very well, especially on a solid state or tube hybrid amp. On my old Glenn OTL, fast stuff didnt do that great with the Atrium. However, on my new OTL, the Atrium blazes thru fast music. The Atrium is absolutely stellar with rock and metal, but its also above your intended budget.

The Aeolus has the slowest ( to my ears) drivers of the three. It's been a few years since ive heard the Aeolus, but iirc you would need to roll the pads towards the most neutral pad that ZMF makes if speed is one of your main concerns.

ZMF also has the new Auteur classic out, but I havent eard it, so I cannot comment. I have the original Auteur and it also does rock and metal very well, but its also the brightest headphone ZMF has yet to release.

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 24
Hello guys/gals, lately I've been experiencing fatigue with my cans if I listen to them while working. I guess they all are attention-requiring headphones which makes them not good for background listening.

My search hasn't been very successful, the only one I've actually found is the Sennheiser hd650 which as I read is not ideal for my music taste (busy passages with a lot of heavy sounds/instruments). The grados scares me with comfort and attached cables. Meze seems too expensive and probably they have too much mid-bass anyway.

My budget is somewhat ethereal, It could be like around 500-700 for a regular buy, or 1500ish for a special occasion (I'll hit 40 soon, so... a nice present for myself?). I was looking toward ZMF Aeolus, but I live in Europe...

Give me your best!
Hi, what did you get. Did you try the HD600/650 vs the R70x and Aeolus. I am in the same boat as was you.
Need something comfortable for listening at desk for background music/low level music and enjoyment. Listen to mostly Jazz, Classic Rock, Progressive and sometimes Modern Pop.

And did you get a tube amp with it too?

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #21 of 24
If anyone wants to chime in, i would be glad.
PS: Ignore my signature.
I have nothing at present. Sold all desktop gears few months back and starting afresh

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #22 of 24
If anyone wants to chime in, i would be glad.
PS: Ignore my signature.
I have nothing at present. Sold all desktop gears few months back and starting afresh
Kennerton Gjallarhorn or Ibasso SR2 with stock pads for less money. Both are very dynamic with easy anto groove to presentation. Let me know if you have any questions regarding either.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #24 of 24
SASH Tres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back