Recommendation for a hotel in Chicago this weekend?
May 26, 2006 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bg4533

Headphoneus Supremus
Some of my friends and I are going to Chicago for the weekend. We have no real plans. We are just going to hang out for a few days. We were originally going to stay with some friends, but that isn't going to work out so we need to find a hotel. Can anyone recommend any hotels close to the downtown area that are decent but not terribly expensive? I would like to keep it in the hundred dollar a night range, but can spend more if there is something worth it. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Also, if there are any places, restaurants or bars in Chicago that you think are a "must see" please let me know.

Thanks.

May 26, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 8
I am a sucker for the Palmer House personally
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 8
House of Blues Hotel....you're a drunken stumble from your room after a great evening of entertainment.

May 26, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Wow, rooms are a lot more expensive than I thought. When I originally looked I didn't realize how far away from the downtown area the cheap places were. Saving some cash would have been nice, but I am the one driving and that means I would have been the designated driver and thats no fun...

I just booked a room at the Embassy suites on Columbus Drive. It seems like a decent place and the location is nice. There will be five of us and we got a room with two double beds and a sofa bed.

The House of Blues looked really nice, but it was a little more expensive and there wasn't a sofa bed.

Thanks for the help.

May 26, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 8
If it's still there, stay away from the Harrison Hotel. I was late booking a room for a CES back in the 80s and wound up there. What a dive! There was a sign above the reception desk saying "No visitors after 10PM", you had to pay a $10 deposit to get them to give you a telephone for your room. There wasn't a single print/picture on the wall anywhere ( I assume they'd all been stolen ) and the ancient rooms had a large thick rope coiled up by the room's window for use as a fire escape. Fortunately, after seeing the lobby, I asked that I actually see a room before I checked in. I took a pass and did eventually find a room somewhere else. Years later I saw the Harrison Hotel in some cop movie. That's where the bad guy was staying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back