Recommendation for a DIY'er
Oct 10, 2006 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mb3k

1000+ Head-Fier
I haven't stepped into the world of dedicated sources yet, but I think it's time to be informed.
My amps are all DIY with other miscallaneous components (check sig), but my main source is my iAudio X5. I am looking for a good CD player in the range of $500 or less which of course will hook up to my current audio rig (crossfeed, and amp). I'll be using primarily my HD-650's.
Any recommendations? I heard good things about NAD, but I have no clue what the lineup of them are, or even comparible devices.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 6
build a DIY DAC
cool.gif

in all seriousness though NAD gear is easy to come buy in every city. Go to your local hifi store, sit and have a listen. It's more valuable than anyone's opinion.

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 6
If you don't mind buying used, you can check out www.canuckaudiomart.com and look for cd players there. I see Cambridge Audio, NAD, Arcams and others that occasionally pop up occasionally in that price range. If they are local to you in Calgary it would definitley be worth it since it'll save you shipping costs.

Oct 10, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't have a clue what to look for, I'm a total noob to dedicated sources.
Does anyone have a rundown of the "popular" brands just to give me a starting point?

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 6
On the budget end: NAD, Cambridge Audio, Rega, Original, Shanling, and a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back