Recommendation for a DAC/Sound Card...
Nov 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rotter2142

Head-Fier
I'm using a MacbookPro (Late 2009 version) with OS X 10.6.8 loaded on it.

The 3.5mm jack at the headphone-out has suddenly stopped working but the in-built speakers are still working fine.

I'm confused if I need a DAC or an external sound card?

I love the sound signature of the CK10's and my main earphones, the HJE900 and would like a system that complements them(mainly the Pana's).

My budget is 50USD(+10USD if it's absolutely important) and would love it if you can recommend me something that is cheaper than this too.

Frankly, I'm not an audiophile, but I do recognize sound improvements from better systems. Hiss is an absolute no-no...and I prefer a sound signature which is more mid-centric and with a deep and punchy bass.

PS : I'll be using the DAC/sound card back here in India, so replacement/warranty due to failure of product won't be possible, so need a product that is quite reliable.

On a side note, do you have any idea where I can find Sleek Audio replacement cables for HJE900 other than B&H? because it says it is out of stock.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 2
Also wanted to clarify the state of my headphone jack : 

My 3.5mm analog headphone jack has stopped working. It produces sound but with a lot of hissing and at a volume that is 1/10th of what it used to be. Also if I crank up the volume really high I can notice that the lower range of the spectrum is not being reproduced and only some mid frequency's are being reproduced.

I'm just concerned if I buy a Fiio D3, will there be a problem running it from the optical out seeing that the analog and optical line share the same port?

Is there any way of checking this? I'm not able to access any system which utilizes a digital out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back