Recommendation for a complete newbie please!
Dec 17, 2014 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TylerMorgan47

New Head-Fier
What is your budget? $500

What are you looking for? Something with good sound quality, and at least some base. I had Beats Pro, thought they were awful. Read reviews and took them back. Upon the reviews I confirmed my fear that I was indeed paying for the brand.

How will you typically be using the gear? Listening to music on road trips, around campus, and just kicking back. Typically am around people, so maybe something with noise cancellation?

What gear do you own? None.

What do you intend on using for a source? My phone(Android) with spotify.

What material will you be using your gear for? Music

Are you willing to buy used? No.

I've been looking at the Bose Quietcomfort 25, but someone told me the sound quality is awful compared to some the same price. I was also recommended to the V-Moda 100s and Bowers and Wilkins P7. I really like everything I have read about Sennheiser, but there's so many options I would have no idea what to get, maybe the Momentum or HD 25/26? I literally just discovered the more advance headphone scene this week, learned the difference between open and closed yesterday. Just looking for some recommendations, as I don't exactly trust my own opinion yet. Some advice to follow from you guys would give me a lot more piece of mind. Thank you!

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 5
Depending on the size of your ears, the Momentum are fantastic especially for your purposes. Just plug and play, look great and build is stellar and they isolate pretty well too. The one caveat is that they might be too small for your ears, the pads do break in with use and get softer too. They are very comfortable for me. The m-100 is also a good option, it has a lot more bass and might be a better choice coming from the beats pros, you keep a bassy sound but the rest of the sound spectrum sounds better as well. Flip a coin between those two tbh

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 5
Awesome, thank you for the response. One last question I would have is what are your thoughts on the Sennheiser RS-220s? I found them in the Head-Fi Guide a moment ago, and noticed they are $319 on Amazon right now. Would you put these in comparison quality wise with the M-100 and Momentums? However Amazon does say the RS 220s were discontinued, could that mean there were issues with them or a new model would be out soon? Sorry for all the questions. This is an exciting purchase, and I want to be sure I get it right. Thank you again for the help!

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Awesome, thank you for the response. One last question I would have is what are your thoughts on the Sennheiser RS-220s? I found them in the Head-Fi Guide a moment ago, and noticed they are $319 on Amazon right now. Would you put these in comparison quality wise with the M-100 and Momentums? However Amazon does say the RS 220s were discontinued, could that mean there were issues with them or a new model would be out soon? Sorry for all the questions. This is an exciting purchase, and I want to be sure I get it right. Thank you again for the help!

Those are home wireless headphones, they are also open and not to be used outside. I've never heard them before but they've gotten high praise for being a wireless version of the hd600, not sure how much of that I believe. Either way those use one of those home transmitter setups for the wireless, they aren't Bluetooth or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back