Recommendation for a 4.4mm Closed Back with pristine clear SQ Sub-Bass (Very important.) Awesome treble and great mid-range.
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

punkedrock

100+ Head-Fier
Must be able to have a 4.4mm pentaconn, disconnecting connection on the headphones.
My budget can slide between $500-$1300 for this one, if you know of them used and the prices their going for let me know as well.

Really I'm after pristine sub-bass. I also would like this to be a pleasurable headphone to listen to everything else with. I want that high end class of headphones here guys, the ones that when you have the right gear for it, it's just purely amazing.

My source unit is a sony walkman nw-zx507. I have an amp/dac FiiO Q5s though I might have to get a different detachable amp for it or I might purchase a different amp/dac out right if the headphones can't be driven in this direction.

Right now I have a pair of sennheiser HD660s and the bass is there sure, but due to it being an open back it isn't very clear and it isn't present in bountiful quantities either which is also important.

A note on the bass: I do not want muddy bass whatsoever. I want allot of bass and lots and lots of clarity in this bass.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 11
My budget can slide between $500-$1300 for this one, if you know of them used and the prices their going for let me know as well.

Really I'm after pristine sub-bass. I also would like this to be a pleasurable headphone to listen to everything else with. I want that high end class of headphones here guys, the ones that when you have the right gear for it, it's just purely amazing.

My source unit is a sony walkman nw-zx507. I have an amp/dac FiiO Q5s though I might have to get a different detachable amp for it or I might purchase a different amp/dac out right if the headphones can't be driven in this direction.

Right now I have a pair of sennheiser HD660s and the bass is there sure, but due to it being an open back it isn't very clear and it isn't present in bountiful quantities either which is also important.

A note on the bass: I do not want muddy bass whatsoever. I want allot of bass and lots and lots of clarity in this bass.
Drop+Beyerdynamic DT177X GO - good if using a DAP or portable amp.
Other variations include Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT1770.

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Definitely agree with the above comment - the DT1770.
It's probably the best over-the-top basshead headphone around right now.
Unlike SO many other 'bassy' headphones, it focuses on sub-bass, not mid-bass.
So instead of thickness and occasional muddiness and excessive bloom, you get deep, separated thunder.

I havn't heard the DT177X but I've read it's only incrementally different to the regular 1770, so get whichever is cheaper.

DT1770 has more bass than DT770.
Even a modified DT770 80 ohm (to get more bass) is still not as bassy as the DT1770.

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Definitely agree with the above comment - the DT1770.
It's probably the best over-the-top basshead headphone around right now.
Unlike SO many other 'bassy' headphones, it focuses on sub-bass, not mid-bass.
So instead of thickness and occasional muddiness and excessive bloom, you get deep, separated thunder.

I havn't heard the DT177X but I've read it's only incrementally different to the regular 1770, so get whichever is cheaper.

DT1770 has more bass than DT770.
Even a modified DT770 80 ohm (to get more bass) is still not as bassy as the DT1770.

I haven’t personally been able to compare the two, but for several people, the treble on the 1770 seems to be very bright. The treble is toned down some on the 177X GO. On the other hand, a lot of people claim that the bass is noticeably less on he 177X as well, FWIW.

5F6D7EFC-4E48-4306-973E-503824E952A1.jpeg

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Sony MDR-Z1R or Astell&Kern AKT5p (with aftermarket cable/adapter).

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 11
From memory, AKT5p does not have "a lot" of bass.
I have a pair on my head right now for review, I can confirm they have a veritable abundance of low-end.

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 11
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 11
Compared to DT1770?
Similar levels, but I'm going from memory. The 1770's bass is more controlled, however. The A&K's have a bit of a boomy low-end. The 1770's are single-ended only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back