Recommendation for 5.5G case
Aug 4, 2007 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
I am looking for some kind of thin case for a 5.5G Ipod. It will always be tethered to and amp via a Headroom velcro band.

What kind do you have and what are the pros and cons?

Pictures please.

TIA

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Though I don't have my 5.5 iMod from Vinnie yet, I used a Contour Design case with my 4th gen iMod and have bought one for my upcoming 5.5. I think it is the perfect case because it is a hard case that has built-in screen protection and there are two slots in the back which you can feed a length of velcro through to hold an amp. I personally think this is ideal because the amp is tethered to the case and not the iPod.

Below is a close up of my 4th gen in a Contour case with my Hornet tethered to it (I have a piece of foam between the two which helped keep the tension):

closeuprc3.jpg

I bought my 5.5 Contour case from this eBay'er. It was the best price I could find including shipping and they shipped it out right away. I received it within 4 days.

Aug 4, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 13
Check out the iFrogz Treadz case which I use.
P1010003a.png

P1010026a.jpg

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are two slots in the back which you can feed a length of velcro through to hold an amp. I personally think this is ideal because the amp is tethered to the case and not the iPod...I bought my 5.5 Contour case

Is this the Contour Design Showcase because it is advertised as having a removable belt clip, but not the slots for the velcro band (which is what I'd want).

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by potato28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A BSE/ Invisible Shield and Yotank iTank will protect it.

The Yo Tank looks nice, but I am trying to go as thin as possible and the YoTank seems to add some girth.

Slwiser...Is the IFrog Itread a thick case and what does it have on the backside?
I googled the iFrog and yielded no results.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 13
iTread is about 0.85 inches think and the back is tread all over just as you see on the front. With my iMod 5g Doc I had to trim the doc connector just a little to insure a good fit. It did not harm the looks at all as far as I am concern. If the cross section of the opening for the dock looks like this [] all I had to trim a little of the corners off on the outside top and bottom with a sharp knife. The thickness with the Xin Reference is about 1.8 inches and I use an O-ring to keep them together. I got the O-ring at my local hardware store.

http://ifrogz.com/cases/treadz.php

No wonder you could not find it. I had the wrong name above.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this the Contour Design Showcase because it is advertised as having a removable belt clip, but not the slots for the velcro band (which is what I'd want).

It is the Showcase. The slots I spoke of are there for the removable belt clip.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is the Showcase. The slots I spoke of are there for the removable belt clip.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTread is about 0.85 inches
No wonder you could not find it. I had the wrong name above.

Steve..why does it come in three options? Is the bandz attached to the treadz and if not, how does it attach to the Ipod. For $29.00 it comes with 3 pieces. Does the Ipod slip into an assembled case or is everything attached like the separate sections on the Invisible Shield?

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

The Yo Tank looks nice, but I am trying to go as thin as possible and the YoTank seems to add some girth.

Slwiser...Is the IFrog Itread a thick case and what does it have on the backside?
I googled the iFrog and yielded no results.

The BSE/ Iinvisible shield doesn't add any girth to the player, but does a really good job at protecting it from scratches. The evo3 is another good case.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 13
If looks matter to you...

I have a Black evo3 case --- and I hardly use it.
The wheel protector does not make sense if you have a large music collection. IT STICKS! Plus the screen protector does not stay nice for long....

What I use normally is...not a joke... a Kroo aluminum case. It is really nice with a built in stand gleaming gunmetal aluminum and woven pleather inserts (pleather that has been coated for durability). Very Nice Looking...exposes dock, hold switch, headphone port, and wheel (all are recessed into the case though. I also use a protective film too.

The style is awesome (get compliments all the time), thickness is the same. Much easier to remove and because the hard screen proctetor is recessed it doesnt show the scratches that the evo3 does.

However, it is pretty much only availible through pcmircostore - but it was only $18-19 shipped when I bought it a while ago.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Steve..why does it come in three options? Is the bandz attached to the treadz and if not, how does it attach to the Ipod. For $29.00 it comes with 3 pieces. Does the Ipod slip into an assembled case or is everything attached like the separate sections on the Invisible Shield?

The band goes around the outside and I do not use it. I would cover my Doc connection. It slips into the Treadz through the viewing area opening. No problem at all with the unit doing this. The two pieces that I use are the black case and the shield that goes over the front of the iPod device itself. The headphone image is just an appliqué and it goes over the shield. I am not sure about the invisible shield but the shield that I got I do not think is as good as the Invisible Shield would be. The earplug area is designed for Apples thin earplug not some of the regular IEMs if you want to use it for a normal iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back