recommendation for 2 channel sound card
Feb 10, 2005 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lcrim

Head-Fier
Hi:
Recently my Denon 2200 has decided it doesn't always like to play CD's. It still functions as a DVD player and as an SACD player and may even play DVDA (if I owned any.)
My first thought was to get a dedicated CD player but then I started reading about playing back ripped CD's from a computer hard drive using the chipset on the computer sound card as the DAC. From all reports, performance can be amazing for cards like the RME or Lynx which are a bit pricey but there are lower cost alternatives such as the emu 0404 or 1212, and some of the M-Audio line.
I am hoping for some personal experience with a lower cost alternatives. Thanks in advance.

Larry

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Well... I have a 1212m that I'm really happy with. It compares well against standalone CDP's in the sub $1k range. From what I've personally experienced and have heard echoed by many is that the 1212m and the 0404 are the best value in computer audio. Great performance for not a lot of money. There should be a wealth of information on this topic, just run searches on the individual cards.

Good luck and welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 3
I've used an M-Audio Delta DiO 2496 and really liked it.
(2 Toslink - In/Out)
(2 Digital Coax - In/Out)
(1 pair RCA stereo out)

Good card if you can find it, I think they discontinued it now.
My only issue was the you had to use their sound control utility instead of being able to use the global Windows volume control. (Which was only an issue because I could not figure out how to easy get my PowerMate controller to adjust the M-Audio control panel... not a real big issue.)

I used to jack my Yamaha CD into the Toslink on the card, and thus use it as a transport, and then I would take the RCA outs to my amp. Thus my PC became my digital pre-amp of sorts. I could either playback from my physical CD transport, or I could playback music files or music from the CD-ROM.

There is also the M-Audio Audiophile 192 or 2496 that lots of people swear by, if you don't need the Toslink. (Although you can get Toslink/Coax adapters if you need them)

They also have the consumer line of Revolution cards (5.1 + 7.1) if you just want a Coax SPDIF output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back