Recommendation for 100$ DAP
Aug 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mi3zu

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement for my Clip Zip which is starting to fail me with random stops and restarts.
I'm looking for something around the 100$ price tag that's available worldwide. It should be able to play the usual audio formats I don't need video at all it would be nice if I didn't have to pay extra just because it can also play video. I am mostly interested in the SQ, price storage and portability ( as you can see by my having a Clip Zip before ). I need at least 32GB of space.
I have 2 options in mind at the moment but more are welcome:
1. 5th (?) gen iPod with a new hdd (ssd?). I kinda have a lot of questions here as I can't find a definitory iPod thread. Things like why some people use CF cards what are the mods that can be done, how can I spot a decent iPod when I see one(I assume they're all sh by now), how is the battery life on these things. I like the iPod option because of the extended storage because if I get above 100GB I can probably get all of my music in flac on it.
2. I currently have a Nexus 4 that I might be able to use for this but the main problem is the storage space I barely have 5-6GB left on it and getting extra storage space is a bit problematic (apparently for a USB drive I need a USB Y OTG cable with an external power supply). I don't have enough internet to be able to stream music to my phone so I have to carry it along with me somehow.
As I've said if there are any other players that would be good I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Try Rockboxing your current Clip Zip. see if that gets it working better.
Or just buy a new Clip Zip 4GB, $36-$45.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 5
Oh it's already rockboxed. I think it might be the microsd or the microsd slot since it freezes and after a hard reboot and reinserting the card it works again for a while. But it only happens while it's in my pocket.
I was thinking about another clip but wanted to try something new for a change.
Is there really nothing else at this price tag?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Might also try posting your DAP questions on the website anythingbutipod.
You could up your budget and get a $200 Fiio X3 or $240 iBasso DX50.

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 5
best DAP for that budget would be Colorfly C3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back