Recommendable headphones and/or headsets for Asus XONAR Essence Series?
Sep 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bcschmerker4

That's bcschmerker4® to you!
I am currently in the process of refining the search parameters for a headset needed for monitoring outbound audio on an over-the-Internet transmission on an Asus® CM1630-06 equipped with a XONAR® Essence™ STX™ audio card (C-Media® AV-100 DSP, a modification of the stock CMI-8788 to ASUSTeK specifications).  The STX'™ onboard Texas Instruments® TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier (Zs = 10.7Ω) being output-transformerless, and the 8:1 damping rule specifying a minimum load of 85.6Ω for a 10.7Ω amplifier output, I am concentrating on the medium-impedance (viz., 100-600Ω) range for candidates.  It is possible that the Essence™ STX™ can drive a high-impedance (viz., Zo ≧ 2kΩ) headphone at maximum output, but this is a fallback, in case the medium-impedance range produces nothing satisfactory.

The ideal headset for my monitoring task should have a frequency response, ±1.5 dB, of 16 Hz - 16 kHz, with a treble roll-off not lower than 25 kHz.  Neutrality of response is desirable.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 16
You aren't gonna find any common headphones with an impedance exceeding 600 ohms, and your STX will most likely be pressed to drive most 600 ohm headphones.

Need noise isolation, budget?

You might consider beyerdynamic dt660. Personally, I don't think damping factor will make that big of a difference.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 16
  You aren't gonna find any common headphones with an impedance exceeding 600 ohms, and your STX will most likely be pressed to drive most 600 ohm headphones.

Need noise isolation, budget?

You might consider beyerdynamic dt660. Personally, I don't think damping factor will make that big of a difference.

Taken under advisement - at 32Ω, the DT 660 will result in a 3:1 impedance ratio.  beyerdynamic® has at least four headphones that do qualify for round one, which is medium-impedance-specific: the DT 880 PRO recording headphone (250Ω), the DT 770 PRO mixing headphone (250Ω), the DT 250 broadcast headphone (250Ω), and the DT100 ENG/EFP headphone (400Ω).

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 16
  Taken under advisement - at 32Ω, the DT 660 will result in a 3:1 impedance ratio.  Beyerdynamic has at least four headphones that do qualify for round one, which is medium-impedance-specific: the DT 880 PRO recording headphone (250Ω), the DT 770 PRO mixing headphone (250Ω), the DT 250 broadcast headphone (250Ω), and the DT100 ENG/EFP headphone (400Ω).

3:1 impedance ratio is not that bad, all it will really do is give a slightly bloated bass.
Sennheiser HD5XX series are 50-Ohm and do not have a lot of bass, so the slightly bloated bass sounds fine.
AKG K7XX series are 62-Ohm and a little bass light, so bloating the bass a little is fine.
AKG K6XX series are 120-Ohm, 12:1 ratio

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 16
Personally, I don't think damping factor will make that big of a difference.

With some headphones, yes. But it all depends. Usually, manufacturer rate the impedance by looking at the impedance at 1Khz but through out the whole frequency, the impedance may vary. I do find damping factor will make a huge difference if the rated impedance is low but higher impedance, even at 1:5 indeed, not much of differences xD

Maybe Sennheiser HD598? Sound great and have higher impedance xD

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 16
With some headphones, yes. But it all depends. Usually, manufacturer rate the impedance by looking at the impedance at 1Khz but through out the whole frequency, the impedance may vary. I do find damping factor will make a huge difference if the rated impedance is low but higher impedance, even at 1:5 indeed, not much of differences xD

Maybe Sennheiser HD598? Sound great and have higher impedance xD

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Again, taken under advisement - at 50Ω, a 4.67:1 impedance ratio would result.  Same applies to the HD 280 PRO (64Ω, viz., 5.98:1 impedance ratio).  First-round qualifiers would include the HD 600 hi-fi/professional headphone (300Ω), HD 650 reference headphone (300Ω), HD 700 hi-fi stereo headphone (150Ω), HD 800 reference headphone (300Ω), and PC 350 gaming headset (150Ω).

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 16
If you care so much about output impedance, you should get a planar magnetic headphone, lol. They almost aren't affected at all, regardless of impedance.

Seriously, with most of the headphones recommended, I don't think you should worry about output impedance being a problem after all..

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 16
The Audeze® LCD2, a 60Ω planar magnetic with capacity for 15max W and 90 dB SPL @ 1 mW, is listed as having a purely resistive load characteristic.  This is a potential winner, in the event that auditions of the beyerdynamic® and Sennheiser® qualifiers prove disappointing.  The HiFiMAN® HE-300, a 50Ω, is also a potential winner for the same contingency.

Cost and performance are both issues, so I'm having the HE-300 and LCD2 sit out round one, as the LCD2 is pricier than the HD 800.

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 16
HE-300 is not a planar, actually. Look into something like the alpha dog, maybe.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 16
  I am currently in the process of refining the search parameters for a headset needed for monitoring outbound audio on an over-the-Internet transmission on an Asus® CM1630-06 equipped with a XONAR® Essence™ STX™ audio card (C-Media® AV-100 DSP, a modification of the stock CMI-8788 to ASUSTeK specifications).  The STX'™ onboard Texas Instruments® TP6120A2 headphone amplifier (Zs = 10.7Ω) being output-transformerless, and the 8:1 damping rule specifying a minimum load of 85.6Ω for a 10.7Ω amplifier output, I am concentrating on the medium-impedance (viz., 100-600Ω) range for candidates.  It is possible that the Essence™ STX™ can drive a high-impedance (viz., Zo ≧ 2kΩ) headphone at maximum output, but this is a fallback, in case the medium-impedance range produces nothing satisfactory.

The ideal headset for my monitoring task should have a frequency response, ±1.5 dB, of 16 Hz - 16 kHz, with a treble roll-off not lower than 25 kHz.  Neutrality of response is desirable.

Heya,

You're just looking at numbers here, none of which really matter. Sounds like too much sound science and not enough actual ear-time with the equipment. Maybe I'm wrong. Not trying to be rude. But you're either about to waste a bunch of money, or maybe you're a robot.

Here's what I'm thinking. You're going to monitor some internet streamed audio on some basic consumer level equipment. Do you really need $400+ headphones for this? You're going to listen to some compressed streaming internet audio. And you're using a consumer soundcard to do it. Do you really, really need audiophile grade headphones that cost hundreds? I'm thinking you don't. But you're also not being clear on your real intentions, and that's fine, it's your business. I'm simply looking for information to better help guide you since you're asking for help here.

Regardless, here's some basic recommendations that fit your criteria.

Beyer DT880 (250 to 600ohm, either one is fine) - Neutral/balanced, semi-open, but basicaly an open air, has a great sound stage
Beyer DT990 (250 to 600ohm, either one is fine) - Bassy/Bright, open air
Beyer DT770 (80 to 250ohm, either one is fine) - Warm/Bright, closed for isolation

Very best,

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 16

Heya,

You're just looking at numbers here, none of which really matter. Sounds like too much sound science and not enough actual ear-time with the equipment. Maybe I'm wrong. Not trying to be rude. But you're either about to waste a bunch of money, or maybe you're a robot.

Here's what I'm thinking. You're going to monitor some internet streamed audio on some basic consumer level equipment. Do you really need $400+ headphones for this? You're going to listen to some compressed streaming internet audio. And you're using a consumer soundcard to do it. Do you really, really need audiophile grade headphones that cost hundreds? I'm thinking you don't. But you're also not being clear on your real intentions, and that's fine, it's your business. I'm simply looking for information to better help guide you since you're asking for help here.

Beyer DT880 (250 to 600ohm, either one is fine) - Neutral/balanced, semi-open, but basicaly an open air, has a great sound stage
Beyer DT770 (80 to 250ohm, either one is fine) - Warm/Bright, closed for isolation

Very best,

I'd listen to MalV if I where you, and for Compressed internet Radio, the Sound Magic HP 100 is pleasent enough to me. And $200 new with good sound stage and a very balanced overall sound [like teh dt 880] in addition the extra detail of the Beyers offer is pointless with lossy imo. In fact my Dt 990 and 880 sound horrible with anything under v0 Mp3s 

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 16

Heya,

Very best,

Actually, I'm going to be producing live Web videos, which brings engineering considerations into play.  As of September 2013, I'm hard pressed to find more appropriate audio hardware than I already have, primarily due to the lack of support for seriously multichannel PCI and PCI-Express audio cards (e.g., the E-MU®/Creative® 1010e and the packages that include it) in Microsoft® Windows® 6-up.

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 16
  Actually, I'm going to be producing live Web videos, which brings engineering considerations into play.  As of September 2013, I'm hard pressed to find more appropriate audio hardware than I already have, primarily due to the lack of support for seriously multichannel PCI and PCI-Express audio cards (e.g., the E-MU®/Creative® 1010e and the packages that include it) in Microsoft® Windows® 6-up.

It's still compressed audio being streamed. Same information applies. It makes no difference if video is co-encoded.

Very best,

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 16
Update:  As of 12 October 2013, I have the following models by manufacturer cleared for Round 1:

beyerdynamic®:  DT 880 PRO, DT 770 PRO, DT 250, DT 100, Custom One™ Studio™
Sennheiser®:  HD 600, HD 650, HD 700, HD 800, PC 350
AKG®/Harman®:  K612

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Addendum:  As of 11 December 2014, I have the following models (additions since 12 October 2013 in italics; withdrawn models in strikeout) cleared for Round 1:

beyerdynamic®:  DT 880 PRO, DT 770 PRO, DT 250, DT 100, Custom One™ Studio™, T1
McIntosh®:  MHP1000
Sennheiser®:  HD 600, HD 650, HD 700, HD 800, PC 350
AKG®/Harman®:  K612, K702

(The beyerdynamic® Custom One™ Pro™ is below the cut-off impedance for Round 1; Custom One Studio production was cancelled, presumably in the T1's favor.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back