Recommend work headphones for <130
Jul 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jraab22

New Head-Fier
I've killed most of a day reading through the forums trying to pick out a pair of new cans.  I'm looking for something around 100 dollars, but can stretch to about 130.
I'm planning to use these in an office setting so I'd like...

1. Comfort - I plan on wearing these for many hours each day, and I have glasses. I work in a cubicle setting doing a lot of reading and coding. 
2. closed back ( very little leakage, isolation is nice but I don't need to be completely shut off from the world)
3. I'll be listening mostly through my macbook air, using spotify. I like a lot of different things, but at work I tend to listen to electronica or mellow music, usually without much word. 
    I may be willing to add a cheap amp at some point, but probably not immediately. 

So far I'm thinking something like...
AKG K271 mII - 125 
ATH700x - 130
HD280 pro - 100

I should also mention I have a pair of D2000 I really enjoy, great sound and very comfortable. I don't necessarily need a similar sound signature and it might be fun to have something a bit different. 
I've dug through a lot of similar threads, but many of them are a few years old so I'm wondering if these are good picks or if I'm missing anything. 

Thanks

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
So far I'm thinking something like...
AKG K271 mII - 125 
ATH700x - 130
HD280 pro - 100

I should also mention I have a pair of D2000 I really enjoy, great sound and very comfortable. I don't necessarily need a similar sound signature and it might be fun to have something a bit different. 

I've see positive things said about the Denon AH-D2000, so I would be a little surprised if you found something for $130 that you would wear instead of the AH-D2000.
Maybe get something like the Fiio E10 USB/DAC/amp, $70 to drive the AH-D2000.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 7
For 90 bucks: Shure 440.

If you can go up to 140: shure 840.

Great headphones for the money. Especially shure 840 sounds more like a open headphone than a closed one, what's very nice. They're both are easy to drive and good allrounders.

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys - I had thought about the Sennheiser 439's but didn't see much positive about them here, I'll give them another look. 

I like my D2000, but I want to keep them at home. I just need a comfy decent sounding pair to use when I'm in the office. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Spend $25 and get the JVC HAS400. It has great detail and great build quality. It is worth much more than it sells for.

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 7
Just to update this with what I ended up doing... I went with the AKG 271 mkII .  Mainly because they seemed to be the most comfortable thing I was looking at. They're still pretty new, but I've spent a little time listening with them and I'm pretty happy.  I've been driving them with spotify or flac files form my laptop or desktop computer and I checked them out with a cd through my home theater receiver. Definitely a bit light on the bass, and they seem harder to drive than my Denon 2000's.  They are comfortable though and I may end up picking up a fiio e10 to see if that beefs up the sound a little.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back