Recommend USB DAC to replace Naim CD5i-2
Apr 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tropicana

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, as in the title, appreciate your recommendation.
Budget is up to US$1,000 but will be happy to spend less if able to achieve the SQ of current cdp.

Will be playing files from my laptop, USB connection only.

Current setup is Meier Corda Classic + HD 800.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 7
I used to have a Naim system. They're reknown for excellent timing and dynamic quality, so changing to something too restraint sounding may put you to sleep.

You can try the Naim forum for advice but HRT's DAC are quite dynamic and their top of the line pro model will fit your budget.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion, HRT streamer 2+ is definitely one of my considerations.
My current amp don't accept balanced input, so HRT pro is likely out... 

Was just looking at your profile, I had the Harbeth C7 as well.
But got rid of them because of space and I could never play them at the volume that I want.

I do miss the warmth/PRAT of the naim/ harbeth combo at times, but doubt I can go back after getting used to what HD 800 has to offer.
So far, I would say that my headphone setup is an upgrade to my speaker system, which cost 3 times more.

Anyway, I am thinking of going CD-less.
It is really hard to audition DAC in SG, am sure you know it...
The naim forum largely recommend only Naim dac or dac that comes with SN.

Let's see if anyone else has an opinion.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 7
Furutech's GT40 DAC is quite dynamic too. Same dealer as HRT in sg.

My C7 sounds more natural than my 800 setup. Getting something to replace my stock cable soon.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Go for the audiolab M-dac, it might very well surprass the Naim in terms of SG and runs about 1.2k in Singapore.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Go for the audiolab M-dac, it might very well surprass the Naim in terms of SG and runs about 1.2k SGD in Singapore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back