Recommend: Upgrade From ATH-M50
Apr 11, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #31 of 35
Errm, second update:

Got my DT770 Pro 80, and after a whole day of burn in, I believe the M50s sound almost the same as the DT770s, give or take a few things. The DT770s are slighly bassier and cleaner, but just BARELY. I sold my M50s to my roomie and kept the DT770s, BUT I actually think they are nearly the same. Had I known this, I would've never got the DT770s, but I do prefer their styling and comfort a little more. If you want a clear upgrade to the M50s, the DT770s are not it.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errm, second update:

Got my DT770 Pro 80, and after a whole day of burn in, I believe the M50s sound almost the same as the DT770s, give or take a few things. The DT770s are slighly bassier and cleaner, but just BARELY. I sold my M50s to my roomie and kept the DT770s, BUT I actually think they are nearly the same. Had I known this, I would've never got the DT770s, but I do prefer their styling and comfort a little more. If you want a clear upgrade to the M50s, the DT770s are not it.

I upgraded to a DT770 250 from the M50, and I'll chalk this up to the difference in DT770 models.

My experience was totally different. The M50s were very, very different from the Beyers. The first very noticeable difference was soundstage. M50s sounded cramped, like I had a cardboard box around my head. DT770 however had a surprisingly wide and involving soundstage -- wasn't expecting a closed can to have something like this.

The next very important and noticeable diff was the mids. M50s have very forward mids, really lush and fun. DT770 had very recessed mids, it was hiding behind the treble and the bass. Oh and the bass. M50s had more powerful bass (big midbass bump) but the DT770 had a smoother bass and lower extension. But if you EQ the DT770 it will beat the M50's bass (EQing the M50's bass in similar fashion didn't yield as warm and smooth a monstrous bass as the DT770).

Finally treble -- DT770's treble is sharper and more fatiguing. Very bright. M50 is still clear, detailed treble but with a dark cast all over.

Overall M50s are better at mids and treble, but DT770 has more clarity and deeper, yummier bass, not to mention way wider soundstage.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I upgraded to a DT770 250 from the M50, and I'll chalk this up to the difference in DT770 models.

My experience was totally different. The M50s were very, very different from the Beyers. The first very noticeable difference was soundstage. M50s sounded cramped, like I had a cardboard box around my head. DT770 however had a surprisingly wide and involving soundstage -- wasn't expecting a closed can to have something like this.

The next very important and noticeable diff was the mids. M50s have very forward mids, really lush and fun. DT770 had very recessed mids, it was hiding behind the treble and the bass. Oh and the bass. M50s had more powerful bass (big midbass bump) but the DT770 had a smoother bass and lower extension. But if you EQ the DT770 it will beat the M50's bass (EQing the M50's bass in similar fashion didn't yield as warm and smooth a monstrous bass as the DT770).

Finally treble -- DT770's treble is sharper and more fatiguing. Very bright. M50 is still clear, detailed treble but with a dark cast all over.

Overall M50s are better at mids and treble, but DT770 has more clarity and deeper, yummier bass, not to mention way wider soundstage.

Perhaps you are confusing the DT770 2005 premium consumer edition 250 ohm, with the Pro 250 ohm edition? Which one do you have?
The Premium (250 ohm) doesn't have recessed mids at all. Not a bit.
The Pro's (250 and 80 ohm) are different headphones, with somewhat recessed mids and a lot more bass.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #34 of 35
I have the consumer one to my knowledge. But yeah maybe I'm confused. I got these second hand with no box, so I'm not entirely sure which one it is.

But going from the sound sig the one I have definitely has recessed mids. It's not wildly apparent and I really only noticed when doing ABing. Comparing the M50 side by side its mids were definitely more forward whereas the Beyers sounded quite recessed in comparison.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #35 of 35

Quote:

So, months later (and after a nice tax refund check), I finally purchased the DT770's, and I can definitely understand where you're coming from. The mids and soundstage were the biggest differences between the two cans. 

M50 Advantages:
Precision and Detailed sound
More of a flat frequency response
Portability and Design
More dynamic sound

DT770 Advantages:
Wider soundstage
Deeper and smoother bass
Clarity between frequency ranges
Did I mention soundstage? like a movie theatre...

I will also mention that these are all comments without amplification because I am a broke college student, but I did have a chance to listen to both amped and I will say that with amplification and equalization, the DT770 has taken the competition for my music producing. But, without amplification the M50's will still be my favorite for portable wear and personal enjoyment (I really enjoy the signature mid-bass bump right around the kick drum and the crispness of the treble). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back