Recommend: Upgrade From ATH-M50
Apr 6, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm now after reading this the DT770 shouldn't be on your list, and neither should the D2000 actually.

I never really considered the M50 as a "flat response" phone because it clearly had a bass bump. But still pretty good and I know musicians who use it for mixing.

But if you really want something more flat with big soundstage maybe you should look into something a little more sophisticate. I personally loved the M50s dearly as well but I've since moved on -- currently using Senn HD650s (which are not flat either) and K701 is coming in couple of weeks. And yeah also have the DT770.

I have the Airhead on order coming, not that I need it or anything, just wanted to see if it would clear up my issues before I bought completely new cans. And let me know how the K701s treat ya.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 35
If you're looking for an upgrade to a better closed headphone that is an all-rounder with a great neutral, detailed sound, go for the HD25-1-II's. They are stellar in that they are versatile and have no observable flaw.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 35
For your budget I think you should seriously thinking about the Ultrasone HFI780s or go for DT880/990 250ohm

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacKnight104 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone, my number one pick so far are the dt770s. I have heard mixed reviews about the Shure 840s in relation to response, but my cousin is going to let me try them in two weeks (can't wait...). But in response to rhythmdevils, I prefer closed, especially since I like to carry my phones around campus to and from classes as well as in libraries while I listen to my tracks for modifications. But when you mean sound "signature" do you mean like warm or dark sounding phones?

yes, the basic signature, if it has lots of bass, light bass, mids are upfront, or recessed, treble peaks, etc.

It's not likely that you're going to like the DT770 for your purposes. It's got tons of bass, recessed mids, and exaggerated highs. While it may be an upgrade to some, it's useless for your purposes, as a reference.

hmmm, HD25 is a good idea. I haven't listened to it enough to say

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 35
In the end, I ordered the DT770 Pro 80ohm version. I'm so impressed with my DT880/32, that they're my headphones for overall balance, while I need a headphone for more deliberate fun than the M50s. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the M50s, but my DT880s do pretty much the same job and then some. My friend is buying the M50s off me for the price I paid for them, so I figured I try something that sounded different. I actually loved the Sony XB700s (asides from ear discomfort), and I heard the DT770 Pro/80 was as bassy, and more controlled and clear than those. I figured they were the next logical upgrade.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #21 of 35
I know this is a complete redirection of this post, but I can't keep my eyes off the AKG's, do they sound as sexy as they look because if so, I WANT ME SUM. And I decided that I will just use my M50's for my producing uses, so now I guess im looking for more of a signature sound, a little less bass bump than the M50's, more of a feel bass than a hear bass, and clear mids. Any AKG's that fit that description? I turned away from the DT770s because of this "heavy bass" ive been hearing about

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 35
Which AKG's? But in any case You will hear the bass alot more than feel it. And espcially unamplified. Again, Check the PRO900s. Properly modded they are one of the best all-around cans, espcially for monitoring.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which AKG's? But in any case You will hear the bass alot more than feel it. And espcially unamplified. Again, Check the PRO900s. Properly modded they are one of the best all-around cans, espcially for monitoring.

I was thinking more along the lines of the 272's, but ill look into the PRO900s

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 35
I heard my cousin's SRH840s, Im impressed. The mid bass is much clearer than the M50s, allowing for a less clutter around that area that ive been having problems with, and the soundstage is an upgrade along with the comfort and a sleek look to them. I am settling with the 840s, but still keeping an eye out to demo the DT770s.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Otherwise, maybe semi-open? Because then you could try the K240 Monitor version.

from the ATH-M50 that's a downgrade, but this could change of course according to preferences over sound signature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for an upgrade to a better closed headphone that is an all-rounder with a great neutral, detailed sound, go for the HD25-1-II's. They are stellar in that they are versatile and have no observable flaw.

Soundstage is an observable flaw, as well as bass congestion. Otherwise great headphone for tracking, decent headphone as a monitor for vocals/overdubbing, poor mixing headphone imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacKnight104 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard my cousin's SRH840s, Im impressed. The mid bass is much clearer than the M50s, allowing for a less clutter around that area that ive been having problems with, and the soundstage is an upgrade along with the comfort and a sleek look to them. I am settling with the 840s, but still keeping an eye out to demo the DT770s.

nice choice

Another option would be the Sony MDR-V7509 HD

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from the ATH-M50 that's a downgrade, but this could change of course according to preferences over sound signature.

I think there are things that each do better, and one is closed, one is semi-open so just because of that they make music feel very different.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #28 of 35
I aint OP but in the end I decided to keep my M50s. I love their versatility and ease. I will use my DT880s for serious gaming and music, my soon to come DT770s for movies, and when I want to jam out to bass heavy tracks, and the M50s as an all rounder that I can use for anything, especially at night when my girlfriend is sleeping.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they any good unamped?

The 840s are similar to the M50's in that they can be driven easily without an amp, but while using one I found that it cleared up the "no bass" issue that everyone has been complaining about on the 840's even though I felt that they had enough bass unamped as well. Definitely made dance/electronic music more enjoyable with the amp.

And to MadLustEnvy, im definitely keeping my M50's. Its like a first love complex, because they were my first 'good' cans after all.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #30 of 35
If you want a very different sound, the K271 has a very different signature from the M50. very bass light, it's just about the detail in the bass and that's it. Very nice mids, and highs that are a bit exaggerated, but silky smooth. Kind of like a closed K701 with better tone but less soundstage. Guitar Center, etc usually has them to demo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back