Recommend TOTL IEM for small (and old) ears
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aussietanker

Head-Fier
Hi all ..

Hope that I'm posting this in the right section. I have been a member on here for quite a while. I don't post much as i don't really know a lot about the technical aspect of audio equipment. I do know that i really enjoy listening to music and reading the various posts on here.

I listen to a lot of music, usually on my LG V20. I have wide taste in music, from 50's, 60's, 70's to pop, jazz, blues, country, bluegrass, gospel, swing, big band, instrumental (especially anything with sax in it) and occasionally even some light "popular" opera. The only music that i don't really listen to is dance, electronic, heavy metal & hip hop. I really like clarity in my music, but also don't mind a bit of bass, as long as it's not too intrusive.

I am based in Australia but travel overseas a lot. I usually carry Bose Quiet Comfort 35's when flying overseas and while their "noise cancelling" quality is pretty good on long flights i am getting a bit sick of the bulk.

So I'm looking to purchase a really good quality CIEM or IEM in about 3 months. Mainly for general music listening at work and wround the house etc, but i was also hoping that i might be able to ditch the large Bose headphones and even replace them with a good quality IEM or CIEM - probably the customs as i think that a custom is more likely to give me the noise isolation that i want on long flights.

Budget is approx $1,000 > $1500.

One of the problems is that i seem to have really small ears. I always end up using the smallest tips possible, whatever IEM i am using. I am concerned that a really good quality CIEM/IEM with lot's of drivers might be "too big" to be comfortable for my small ear canal.

I'm also getting older and at 62 i suspect that the edge of my hearing is starting to drop off a small amount already. Altho i still want to be able to enjoy good sound i wonder if there is any point spending heaps on earphones if my hearing can't pickup all the nuances of the sound because of aged hearing degeneration.

I've spent ages over the last few months reading a zillion reviews on here and have just ended up totally confused. I REALLY like the sound of the 64 audio "apex" technology because i do find that my ears sometimes seem to "fatigue" when using my current universal IEM's and think that the "apex technology" might really help with this.

To sum up... looking for the "best" CIEM/IEM that say $1500 can buy that suits an old dude with really small ears :)

Thoughts, advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 7
Sennheiser IE800 (dynamic driver) might match the "for small ears" part of the requirement. One of the most comfortable, smallest, and most lightweight IEMs. It's excellent in the sound department, too. It's not the most exotic IEM out there, but it's one of the best sounding IMHO. Plus it helps upper treble hearing loss, too, due to a slightly elevated 10KHz region. One downside is that isolation is not at the level of airplane use.

Since you mentioned noise isolation and music with sax in it, the Shure 846 is also great for both purposes. But if you suspect high frequency hearing loss, the 846 might sound rolled off because even for people with perfect hearing it already has a bit of roll-off beyond 10KHz. On the other end of the spectrum, though, it has excellent sub-bass extension, very solid like a good subwoofer, and generally does not intrude with the midrange.

The Campfire Andromeda also fits most of your requirement, but I'm a bit worried that comfort might be an issue for small ears, particularly for long listening sessions. Within that brand, the Vega might be worth an audition, too. I believe its shape (more rounded unlike Andromeda) makes it more comfortable for smaller ears. It has more U-shaped signature than Andromeda.

To be honest, if you really suspect your hearing in the upper treble has diminished a bit, it wouldn't hurt to check out first the IEMs that are generally regarded as slightly bright particularly in the upper treble.

The above are universals, as I don't have personal experience with customs.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 7
Like stated, perhaps the ie800 would fit you? It was far too small for my ears for some reason and I could never get it to stay. I think you should look towards custom iem, hopefully somebody recommends something good for you!

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 7
One of the problems is that i seem to have really small ears. I always end up using the smallest tips possible, whatever IEM i am using. I am concerned that a really good quality CIEM/IEM with lot's of drivers might be "too big" to be comfortable for my small ear canal.

If the ear canal is what's small and not the concha then it's not the number of drivers in there that's the problem (and even then more of the type of driver, ie, stick with all very compact balanced armature drivers, no dynamic drivers or hybrid set-ups, since the DDs need a lot of space and air inside the shell) but the bore diameter. That said, if you can fit a universal fit IEM in there plus the small tips, I can't imagine there being an IEM with such a large bore as to not fit.

At worst, the diameter of the bore would just mean that the material around it would be a little thinner to fit your ears, and if they're also relatively long, possibly easy to break on impact. I still wouldn't really worry about it though. Even with larger ear canals you shouldn't really drop the IEMs and such.

I'm also getting older and at 62 i suspect that the edge of my hearing is starting to drop off a small amount already. Altho i still want to be able to enjoy good sound i wonder if there is any point spending heaps on earphones if my hearing can't pickup all the nuances of the sound because of aged hearing degeneration.

Most of the sound barely goes past 10000hz. Whatever details above that are there are important but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a decent CIEM.

For one, it's not like your hearing degeneration has already gone far below 10000hz.

Second, one reason - if not the reason - for a CIEM is to have a comfortable fit. If you think of that as the primary reason to spend on one then spending on the CIEM is more acceptable as a necessity and then it really comes down to which one.

I've spent ages over the last few months reading a zillion reviews on here and have just ended up totally confused. I REALLY like the sound of the 64 audio "apex" technology because i do find that my ears sometimes seem to "fatigue" when using my current universal IEM's and think that the "apex technology" might really help with this.

To sum up... looking for the "best" CIEM/IEM that say $1500 can buy that suits an old dude with really small ears :)

I'd just get their triple driver, maybe the quad, but given your preferences, the isolation from the CIEM coupled with one dedicated bass driver might get you enough bass already.

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Thank you for all the replies. I greatly appreciate the responses from everyone.

I have had both Westone (dog destroyed it) & Sennheiser (son borrowed & lost it) mid-range earphones in the past and liked them both.

I also appreciate the point about the difference between the size of the canal and the size of the rest of the ear. I had not considered that, so appreciated that advice. After considering the responses i think that i will go for the custom IEM. I think that it might give a better, more intimate fit as well as give better sound isolation and hence give the added bonus of possibly being a good replacement for my BOSE headphones when traveling. Would that be a correct assumption?

And one more question... I have noticed that there seems to be 2 different types of "connections" on earphones that have replaceable cables. I am not exactly sure of the technical name of that part of the CIEM. Some CIEM's seem to have a rectangular "block" looking end with 2 small pins. Others seem to have a round plug (MMCX?)

Is one type of connector "better" than the other ie more secure, more stable connection, less likely to break or be damaged. I have googled endlessly to find some information on the cable ends without success. I must be using the wrong search terms. Any advice in this regard is also appreciated ...

and if anyone can suggest a link to some good informative articles on the subject i would appreciate that information as well.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 7
I also appreciate the point about the difference between the size of the canal and the size of the rest of the ear. I had not considered that, so appreciated that advice. After considering the responses i think that i will go for the custom IEM. I think that it might give a better, more intimate fit as well as give better sound isolation and hence give the added bonus of possibly being a good replacement for my BOSE headphones when traveling. Would that be a correct assumption?

Remove the laptop and this is what I have on a table on a plane other than a can of beer. Slips into my large messenger bag next to my camera.

8276794.jpg

And one more question... I have noticed that there seems to be 2 different types of "connections" on earphones that have replaceable cables. I am not exactly sure of the technical name of that part of the CIEM. Some CIEM's seem to have a rectangular "block" looking end with 2 small pins. Others seem to have a round plug (MMCX?)

Is one type of connector "better" than the other ie more secure, more stable connection, less likely to break or be damaged. I have googled endlessly to find some information on the cable ends without success. I must be using the wrong search terms. Any advice in this regard is also appreciated ...

They just break more easily in different ways. MMCX can twist on its axis too much and break some copper wires somewhere, two pin can get bent more easily.

Note that if you get the IEM with the pin contacts don't just buy any cable because there are two sizes for these, and recessed sockets on either will have to take into account whether the plug can fit into the hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back