Recommend sub $1k Amp and DAC
Nov 15, 2016 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

1Tbps

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, I'm looking for a new amp and DAC totalling under $1k. I plan to upgrade to electrostats/planars in the future and therefore require a powerful amp for future proofing.
I had purchased a new HD600 recently and felt that it lacks bass. My setup currently is from PC > Meier Quickstep > Dragonfly Black v1.5 > HD600. Maybe there is not enough amping and the bass suffers. I also have a sensitive CIEM (Noble K10) which I occasionally use on the setup.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 5
Just a thought: dynamic amps aren't going to drive electrostatic cans (and vice versa), and if you know that's where you're going, why not just make that upgrade? Within your budget you could pick up the Koss ESP/950 system, or the similar STAX setup (SR-2170 if memory serves - its the bundle with the SR-30* and SRM-252 amp), and either keep using the Dragonfly as a DAC, or throw another DAC into the mix (completely off-the-wall-but-it-sounds-good suggestion: ESP/950 + Pro-Ject Dacbox S FL, as long as you have a source that can output S/PDIF).

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Just a thought: dynamic amps aren't going to drive electrostatic cans (and vice versa), and if you know that's where you're going, why not just make that upgrade? Within your budget you could pick up the Koss ESP/950 system, or the similar STAX setup (SR-2170 if memory serves - its the bundle with the SR-30* and SRM-252 amp), and either keep using the Dragonfly as a DAC, or throw another DAC into the mix (completely off-the-wall-but-it-sounds-good suggestion: ESP/950 + Pro-Ject Dacbox S FL, as long as you have a source that can output S/PDIF).

Thanks for the input, would have to try them first. However, I don't plan to sell my HD600 as many have them and therefore they are a good point of reference when comparing headphones. That's why I think that I still have to buy an amp capable to drive it. Perhaps keeping a separate set for electrostats/planars in the future.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the input, would have to try them first. However, I don't plan to sell my HD600 as many have them and therefore they are a good point of reference when comparing headphones. That's why I think that I still have to buy an amp capable to drive it. Perhaps keeping a separate set for electrostats/planars in the future.
Not sure what your looking for but you can't drive electrostatics headphones out of anything other than a electrostatic amp. They are a separate animal. Planars can be run by a wide variety of amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back