Recommend something new...
Feb 5, 2008 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TylerEaves

Head-Fier
Thinking about getting so new cans for home use. My current cans are a Grado SR-225. Quite happy with 'em, but want something new. Plus, the Grados are spending most of the time at the office these days.

The criteria:

Budget: Up to $300. Could be stretched to $400 or so, maybe even a little higher, but would prefer not to.

Source: Stereo Receiver 1/4" jack. Not sure of the exact specs. Not a high-end headphone amp, but driving high-Ohm cans shouldn't be a huge issue. Usually fed by the SPDIF output from my PC.

Content: Mostly older rock. Wide ranging from soft stuff (Byrds, classic country, etc), up to pretty hard stuff (Rush, Judas Priest, etc). Some acoustic music, but that's not a huge priority. Classical and acoustic jazz occasionally, but again, not a huge priority. Also video game sounds.

Open or closed cans acceptable, not interested in IEMS.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 6
For closed cans, I highly recommend the Ultrasone Proline 750. I myself have moved up from Grado (although lower versions than yours, SR-60 & SR-80), and I have not regretted making this transition. I doubt that you will find better quality bass (powerful, tight) together with excellent mids and crystal clear treble. The soundstage is also very good. and this is all from a closed headphone which is not easy to achieve. However, I want to warn you that these phones need plenty of burn-in (250 hrs +).

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, after doing more research on my own, just ordered an AKG K701 from Headroom.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 6
Reconsider getting an headphone amp, good fons that sound good out of an integtated amp are quite rare. No need to spend hundrets of bucks (as usual on this nerd site), a simple 30$ Ebay Cmoy will be sufficient in principle.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 6
I just got a new pair of HFI-780 yesterday and they are worth checking out.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Also just pulled the trigger on a Zero DAC/AMP combo. Apparently, due to chinese new year it will be here about 2 weeks after the cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back