Recommend Some Yo Yo Ma
Mar 4, 2010 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Eagle Eye

500+ Head-Fier
I have just decided I want to try some of his stuff but have no idea what the best one's are. I have searched ebay and Amazon and he has so many CD's available. Could someone recommend three or four of his recordings so I can get acquainted with this artist.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 23
x2 here. I bought one of the "best of YoYo Ma" kind CD. The whole CD is all about showing off his skill, not so much about the music. I listened one time and put it away. Wasted money on mine.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 23
I'm personally not a huge fan of Yo-Yo Ma. Don't get me wrong, he's an extremely talented cellist, but as far as great recordings of classical repertoire go, none of his really stand out.

That being said, his Brahms cello sonatas with Emmanuel Ax is a decent album though.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 23
I like his album with the Silk Road Ensemble.

1212819692_cover.jpg

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 23
I can check out that one from the Jazz Blues Club. Thanks for the recommendations so far. Since there isn't alot of recommendations let me open it up to cello music in general. What are some of the top performers and CD's. I want to get into appreciating some of the classical stuff and for some reason have fallen in love with the sound of the cello. I figure this will be a good place to start. It doesn't have to be solo cello stuff just good sound, excellent recording quality stuff to get me started I guess. i

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 23
I like Han Na Chang's Shostakovich cello concerto and Jacqueline Du Pré's
Haydn concerto, Elgar and/or Schumann..

Maisky is not my cup of tea, except for his Shostakovich (2nd piano trio)
Rostropovich is genius in every way, but not all recordings are good quality..

Good luck on your cello hunt!

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jacqueline Du Pré's
Haydn concerto, Elgar and/or Schumann.

Jacqueline Du Pre's Elgar cello concerto is a must. Greatest cello recording of all time.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 23
Now it is off to find some of these. Thanks so much for getting me started. Please keep the ideas coming.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now it is off to find some of these. Thanks so much for getting me started. Please keep the ideas coming.

My favorite would be "Appalachia Waltz." I also like the "Bach Cello Suites," "Obrigado Brazil," and "Silk Road Journeys: Beyond The Horizon."

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 23
Great guys. Now I have some stuff to look into. In searching some of these on Amazon I ran across some stuff called Chamber Music. I am not sure what this is but the sound is very captivating and some of the most relaxing stuff I have heard. I was not aware of what Chamber Music was and am still not really sure but I do know that I like what I hear. It is really fun to start to find new genre's to investigate. Thanks.

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 23
Chamber music is performed by small ensembles, usually 3-5 solo instruments (unlike in orchestras where a single part is played by an entire section of ~20 musicians on the same instrument). What kind of chamber music do you like? I could point you in the direction of some must-haves.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 23
For cello + good quality recording, try FIM records Theresa Perez, gives good idea of the timbre of the instrument.

Listen in the Shade.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halluci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chamber music is performed by small ensembles, usually 3-5 solo instruments (unlike in orchestras where a single part is played by an entire section of ~20 musicians on the same instrument). What kind of chamber music do you like? I could point you in the direction of some must-haves.

I am not sure exactly. I think the CD I was listening to (of course only 30 sec per track) was called the world's best chamber music. I just liked the fact it was so easy to pick out each instrument and they positioned well in the soundstage. I am mainly afraid of getting poorly recorded music as I have no idea what label or whatever to look for. Any advice you could give me to start me in this direction would be appreciated.

Thanks to the other posters also and I will look into your recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back