Recommend some Jazz, please.
Dec 14, 2006 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
I just started listening to jazz a few weeks ago, and I've been into Miles Davis pretty heavy since then. Despite the fame, I'm not really into Louis Armstrong...sorry. So recommend me some music in the vein of Miles Davis if you would.

p.s. if anyone has some recommendations for jazz guitar or piano, I'd love to hear them. I'm not exclusive to the saxophone.
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 21
I would give Louis Armstrong another chance. He is very well the best jazz trumpeter to ever live, if not arguably the best American musician ever.

As per your question, I'd need to ask you which era of Miles you heard. Did you hear the electric/fusion era? If so, I'd check out John McLaughlin and/or The Mahavishnu Orchestra. But if you heard the early quintet years, or the post Kind of Blue era, I'd instead recommend looking at early John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Bill Evans, or Thelonious Monk.

Dec 14, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just started listening to jazz a few weeks ago, and I've been into Miles Davis pretty heavy since then. Despite the fame, I'm not really into Louis Armstrong...sorry. So recommend me some music in the vein of Miles Davis if you would.

p.s. if anyone has some recommendations for jazz guitar or piano, I'd love to hear them. I'm not exclusive to the saxophone.
icon10.gif

I would be very happy to recommend you plenty of music/jazz in the vein of Miles Davis except for one small fact. You failed to mention just what period from Miles' long career you have been listening to.

Was it the bebop of the very young Miles Davis, the cool sound of the early 1950's, the hard bop of the mid 1950's, the modal jazz of the late 1950's, the Gil Evans orchestral collaborations, the quintet from 1960's, the first electric period from the late 1960's to the mid 1970 or the late electric period from the 1980s?

There's lots of Miles to chose from, give me a few titles and I'll come back with some recommendations.

Dec 14, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 21
thanks for the responses guys, and I'll try my best to help you help me. Unfortunately, I got these two cd's from my father without the booklets...the collection is called the essential miles davis. Some of the songs I've been enjoying thoroughly include: Jeru, Walkin', Round Midnight, and Little Church. If you want a full listing of the songs I have in my collection thus far, I'd be happy to provide it. thanks again!

Dec 14, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

For jazz guitar, you can't go wrong with Wes Montgomery. Try "Incredible Jazz Guitar" or "Boss Guitar."

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 21
David Sanborn - Backstreet *my fave track on that album is Blue beach
Jean-luc Ponty - Open Mind *this guy can play some wicked electric violin!
Steve Bach - Zero Gravity (MFSL) *picked this one up after reading a review in stereophile calling it a 'must have' to show off your system
Stanley Jordon - Magic Touch *his debut album 1985, a wiz kid from Palo Alto, CA playing his Travis Bean guitar through a battery powered Mouse amp on the streets of NYC untill he opened one night for Wynton Marsalis (The Lady In My Life is my fave track, but this guy is good)

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 21
"Jeru, Walkin', Round Midnight, and Little Church"

Man, oh man, you don't fool around do you.

"Jeru" comes from the "Birth of the Cool" sessions which took place in 1949-1950.

"Walkin'" is from the mid 1950's hard bop sextet.

"Round Midnight" appears to be from around the same time as "Walkin'" but it's not quite clear from the All Music Guide web site and Miles recorded the song many times.

And finally "Little Church" is from "Live-Evil" which is 1970 and is seriously electric Miles!!

So some recommendations:

For more tunes like "Jeru": Gerry Mulligan

Like "Walkin": The Max Roach and Cliff Brown Quintet or Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

Like "Round Midnight": Thelonious Monk

Like "Little Church": Yo Miles! or Dave Douglas

Give those a spin and let us know how things are going.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 21
wow, thanks a lot for all the recommendations guys! now I just have to dig through my dresser to find money to pay for this stuff...
mad.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For jazz guitar, you can't go wrong with Wes Montgomery. Try "Incredible Jazz Guitar" or "Boss Guitar."

Actually, you can go wrong. Make sure to get nothing of his that's recent. Stick with the classic Wes Montgomery for the "Miles of guitar" that he used to be.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you can go wrong. Make sure to get nothing of his that's recent.

Considering he died in 1968, I dont think that will be a problem.
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

jazz guitar

how about some "gypsy jazz" from django reinhardt?
his workings are amazing.

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 21
Coltrane - Giant Steps.
And you wanted piano, so McCoy Tyner's The Real McCoy is the way to go.

These "sidemen" helped define my fave Miles period, so give their individual efforts a look.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 21
If you are interested in something a little less long winded than many horn based artists check out some jazz vibraphone players;
Johnny Lytle and Dave Pike are two of the absolute best and many of their recordings are not terribly difficult to find.

LL-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back