Recommend some IEM's
Dec 14, 2007 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zoolake

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
So I'm looking to buy some new IEM's for my mp3 player. My budget is somewhere between $100-$200. I listen predominantly to rock, so ideally I would like them to have a fairly agressive sound to them.

thanks!

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro. ~$150

It's pretty aggresive, I think. It has strong bass and good treble perfect for rock.

How do these compare to Jays q-jays and similar Shure's in that price range?

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 12
I have never heard and Jays, but I have read good things on this forum about the q-jays. Compared to Shure products in that price range, I would say that the SF5 Pro definitely beats them. With the SF5 Pro you get dual armatures (instead of single armatures like in the Shure SE210), one in each ear dedicated to reproducing lows and one each for highs. The result is very pleasant. Shure (as well as Ultimate Ears) offer triple driver IEMs but they are much much more expensive.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 12
Right now you can still find the Super Fi Studio 3 for $50 and thats a steal at that price. Also the Altec IM716s are still cheap some places if you like that ER style instead.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Yeah, the super.fi 3 are great for $50 IEMs. I helped my girlfriend buy a pair after reading about them on here.

I don't believe that they compare to the super.fi 5 Pro in terms of sound. One day she tried my SF5 and she was very jealous. The SF3 seem make the music sound more compressed to me whereas the SF5 offer much better treble and bass, much better suited for rock in my opinion.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 12
How durable do you find your SF5 compared to other IEMs you had? I have a bad of not always being as gentle with these sort of things as I should be and over time that can have an impact.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 12
It's hard to say really, because I have only had them for a couple months. For the most part, they seem pretty durable. The only thing that I'm not a huge fan of is that they have a stiff piece of wire by the drivers so you can loop them over your ears. Sure, I wear them that way, but I was able to use my old Shures like that without the wire. It just makes it a little awkward for storage and a little more annoying to put in (for me). My first set of Shures lasted for a couple years but then the post snapped off. I sent them in and Shure sent me back SCL3s back for free (they were in warranty), but I wanted to upgrade so I picked up SF5 Pro after reading about them here. I have had like $50 Sonys, I think EX-71? They were alright because they were the first set of IEMs that I got. In hindsight, they sounded pretty weak. The Sonys were also the least durable product I have ever had. The cord was so thin that almost everyone I have heard of that had them said that their wire started to fray.

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 12
Do a search for Future Sonics Atrio M5s -- they should be a contender as you consider which earphones to get. "Big" sound that conveys bass and kick drums especially well. Excellent value in terms of cost vs. performance.

The M5s and the super.fi Pro's are relatively large (not necessarily uncomfortable, though ... but certainly substantial, if lightweight). Smaller 'phones that are said to have a more detailed sound would be Jays and Etymotics.

Oh -- does your player EQ well, or is it a Zune or iPod, which don't tend to EQ to the degree that some brands can? Synergy with a player or the ability of a player to EQ (or not) can play a role in your choice.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 12
If you only have up to $200 to spend, get the super 5 fi pro. You will not be disappointed. It's dual driver and a great price for the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back