Recommend some horror/sci-fi/fantasy novels for young readers
Jan 8, 2008 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

zombieDave

500+ Head-Fier
It's my first year student-teaching in a middle school SpEd program and the teacher I'm working with is allowing me to contribute a great deal to the curriculum. She's actually thrilled to death that I'm bringing a guy's point of view to certain classes and loves when I bring in material that appeals to the males in the class because it keeps them engaged. Today I began reading Clive Barker's The Thief of Always (great novel!) with my eight graders and, after we're done, I'll be looking for something else along these lines. I must steer clear of really looooooooong novels (Harry Potter & Narnia) and would like to hear some "outside the box" suggestions (read: not The Hobbit). Y'know, something we've maybe never heard of. Thanks in advance for any help you can give (my students thank you, as well)!

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 21
For Sci/Fi, Ender's Game and the proceeding series by Orson Scott Card should be fairly readable at a middle school level.

On the horror side, H.P. Lovecraft's material would make very good reading.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's my first year student-teaching in a middle school SpEd program and the teacher I'm working with is allowing me to contribute a great deal to the curriculum. She's actually thrilled to death that I'm bringing a guy's point of view to certain classes and loves when I bring in material that appeals to the males in the class because it keeps them engaged. Today I began reading Clive Barker's The Thief of Always (great novel!) with my eight graders and, after we're done, I'll be looking for something else along these lines. I must steer clear of really looooooooong novels (Harry Potter & Narnia) and would like to hear some "outside the box" suggestions (read: not The Hobbit). Y'know, something we've maybe never heard of. Thanks in advance for any help you can give (my students thank you, as well)!

The Earthsea novels, they are short, written in an simple (complexly simple, if that makes sense) oldschool, almost fairytale manner. Good Reads. Enders Game, good sci-fi. The Foundation series by Asimov. These are not unknowns but its what I got so far. I'll continue after dinner.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 21
+1 Ender's Game. Maybe Hitchhiker's guide, I think I read those in 8th grade.

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 21
+2 on Ender's Game, it's a great read and the concepts in it aren't hard to understand at all (but might be a bit violent?).

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 21
for scifi i recommend Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad, as well as any of the Pirx the Pilot books.

Cyberiad is a collection of short stories, most of them pretty light in nature. There are a handfull of them that a kid would have to be at least 12 to understand, but most of them are basically understandable by even very young children.

The Pirx the Pilot series are novels that follow a young pilot as he graduates from, well, space-pilot school, and enters the space-pilot workforce. Pirx becomes quite famous for his exploits, accomplishments, and extraction from tight spots - but in truth he's mostly just accident-prone and lucky. These are essentially juvenile fiction, but some of the smartest juvenile scifi you'll find.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 21
I would add Starship Troopers as well, it likely the only Heinlein book you could read in a school setting. Gosh I would love to add Neuromancer/Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive, but they might be to much, i.e. you might get fired
biggrin.gif
, But if you haven't read them, do so, they are a must IMO

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 21
Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'll use my free period today to research the titles and look for some deals on used books online. Just think of it, you may have just suggested a story that a kid who hates reading is going to love. Pretty cool, eh?

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 21
Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to reply! As of the end of the school day today, we've (my teacher & I) ordered Ender's Game, Johnny and the Dead, and Artemis Fowl: Book 1 from the local library network. I guess I have a lot of reading/outlining to do! You guys are way cool, as is this forum. I reckon I'm going to enjoy the heck out of these books, as well.

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 21
Lloyd Alexander books are great for young people. The The Chronicles of Prydain is the name of the series.

This is a great set of books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back