Recommend some good studio monitors?
Dec 1, 2002 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
Well it says speakers in the forum title, so I guess it goes here...

My friend is looking at getting some studio monitors as speakers, but we're kinda new to the field, so we don't really know which brands/specs to look at.

The price range is about $300, the source is a SBLive! Platinum. Yes I know the source isn't the greatest but the master plan is to kind of component-by-component upgrade the whole system, starting with a good set of monitors.

We were looking at one model- the Edirol MA10D. We liked them because they had an onboard DAC that had 24/96 capability- which meant it had digital inputs too. The thing that we were leery of however was the fact that they were only 10w per channel? To us that seemed a little low but we weren't sure. Price: 200

The other one we were looking at was the Samson - Resolv 65a Active Reference Monitors (SRESOL65A). The wattage was better (75w high and 25w low) but no digital inputs. Price is 300. (well 400 but there's a sale)

We don't really have any reviews on sound quality for either, what is a good site for monitor reviews? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the lack of product linkage- I'll try to find them and reply here.

Thanks!

Ruahrc

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 6
are these for mixing use?... or for pleasure?

...personally, i haven't heard either, but the Resolve's specs look the best. "8" woofer right?" you don't need the digital inputs i think. for something in this low price range, better find the best sounding speakers you can buy... digital inputs just aren't necessary. you're gonna need some pretty fancy equipment anyway to output digital solely for monitoring.

what kind of equipment you got?--or are you just mixing/composing everything out of the computer?

if you must get something under $300, i would at least check out the used monitors out there. in fact, i recently just sold a pair of JBL 6208's for $300 a couple months ago. they are 8" with fancy looking tweeters. used to retail for about $1000, but are discontinued now. i sold them cause compared to my other monitors, they weren't nearly as precise. but compared to any of those $300 monitors you listed, there is no comparison... the 6208 will blow any of them away. bi-amp'd... very loud. pretty good for the money.

if you can afford to pay a bit more... say $500... the event 20/20 bas system CANNOT be beat. you can get a used pair for about $500... and many big name engineers still love them more than monitors like 5-10x the price. make sure you get the "20/20 BAS" system though... there's a 20/20 none-bas (passive) that's much much cheaper. but you want the bi-amplified version.

Dec 3, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 6
The equipment doesn't really matter a whole lot (the whole upgrade thing)- but my friend says they'll most likely be for "mixing pleasure"
biggrin.gif

The 20/20's might be a possibility, it's a little above his price range but if they're worth it he might splurge.

Have you heard anything about the Behringer Truth monitors?

Ruahrc

Dec 3, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 6
well, the behringer 8" is mostly their copy of the famous Mackie 8 series... at like 1/5th the price. ...i'm sure they sound fine. i haven't heard them myself. don't expect them to sound too much like the Mackies though... and don't expect them to last forever either. (i have/had some behringer 24/4 mixer.... several problems over time... and a behringer signal processor... some lights are going out, and sound isn't that great)....

i still strongly recommend the 20/20 bas. your friend won't be dissappointed. there is no better monitor in that price range. like i said earlier, i haven't heard them myself.... but MANY MANY MANY pro big name mixing rooms have them, even when they can afford monitors that cost 5-10x the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back