Recommend some good high end audio books for an amateur.
Nov 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Merck

100+ Head-Fier
I wasn't getting much response in the other forum so I thought I would ask here.  I would like to one day plan out a pretty good high end system but in the mean time while I don't have the money to allocate, do any of you have any recommended books on the subject that will educate me about the things to look for in each component? 

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Seriously?  No one has read any good books about this subject? 
confused_face.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 9
You've already found it .... everything you need or want to know can be found in the forums themselves.  When you're dealing with headphones and their supporting hardware components from amps to D/A converters, cables, sources etc,,  the market changes almost daily with new products, designs and features.  There's no 'hardcover' book out there that would do justice to such a dynamic and ever changing market.
Get into the forums and many threads here at Head-Fi, read and research and ask questions and you'll surely get all the information currently available and any questions you may have professionally and thoroughly answered and discussed. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 9
There aren't any books available on the subject either, unless you count the book by Robert Harley (EIC of The Absolute Sound) "The Complete Guide to High-End Audio" which is geared towards speakers and speaker components, not headphones.

Ask your questions on Head-Fi instead and folks will try to answer as best as they can.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 9
If you really want an in depth knowledge of audio related matters, I can only re post the excellent list compiled by one of our resident mastering engineers, LFF:

Quote:
Well...it depends how much you really want to learn and how much in depth knowledge you wish to have.

Here are some books I would recommend. I have owned all of them but one and highly recommend them:

Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science

The Physics of Music

Music, Physics and Engineering

Mixing Engineers Handbook

The Mastering Engineers Handbook

Spatial Hearing

This is some easy reading of hardcore stuff. Reading all of it will not make you the next great mastering engineer or producer but it will give you a solid understanding of music and how studios work as well as how your ears work.

More information in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/574226/educating-yourself-about-audio

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
You've already found it .... everything you need or want to know can be found in the forums themselves.  When you're dealing with headphones and their supporting hardware components from amps to D/A converters, cables, sources etc,,  the market changes almost daily with new products, designs and features.  There's no 'hardcover' book out there that would do justice to such a dynamic and ever changing market.
Get into the forums and many threads here at Head-Fi, read and research and ask questions and you'll surely get all the information currently available and any questions you may have professionally and thoroughly answered and discussed. 

True !

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Seriously?  No one has read any good books about this subject? 
confused_face.gif

I thought for a moment you wanted an Audio Book that had High End sound quality recording, like a SACD.    hahaha!

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 9

If you can find this book at your library, its worth borrowing, not worth buying as far as I can tell though. It has a section about digital to analog conversion and a section about op-amps.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
There aren't any books available on the subject either, unless you count the book by Robert Harley (EIC of The Absolute Sound) "The Complete Guide to High-End Audio" which is geared towards speakers and speaker components, not headphones.

Ask your questions on Head-Fi instead and folks will try to answer as best as they can.

[size=medium]
Agree 100% with this recommendation. Great beginners audio book.
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back