Recommend some good gospel?
Sep 22, 2008 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
It doesn't have to necessarily be Christian-themed, I just love the sound. For example, the Let It Be from Across The Universe or A Star is Born from the Disney move Hercules.

anyone have recommendations?

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 9
I wouldn't mind a few pointers in this direction either. Lately I've been listening to the Soul Stirrers (in their superior R.H. Harris fronted version rather than with Sam Cooke). Fantastic vocalist, and I recommend downloading this:

Down In the Flood: Episode 7: R.H. Harris & the Invention of Soul (it's free).

Others in this vein?

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 9
There's the Alan Lomax - Southern Journey V albums (12 or so). I think most of them are great.

The only other thing similar I have is Jessye Norman - Spirituals

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 9
Check out CaseQuarter Records. I met the guy that runs the label, a lot of old and weirder gospel records. He puts out amazing stuff though. Get "You Without Sin" by Isiah Owens. I don't even like much gospel but that album rules.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 9
The Fairfield Four is just a quartet of men singers. No instruments. Great recordings.

Can't go without mentioning Elvis' gospel offerings too.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 9
The Golden Gate Quartet

The Consolers

Marion Williams

Also, two fine compilations:

Free At Last: Gospel Quartets from the Chalice Label - '60s stuff; Chalice was the gospel spinoff of the Stax soul-music label

Goodbye, Babylon - excellent 6-CD box set that covers both white (read: country) and black gospel from the first half of the 20th century

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back