Recommend small 2 speaker setup
Sep 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

coachclass

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Can you guys recommend a small 2-speaker setup?  I'm looking for something to play classical music and baby lullabies.  In the $100 range.  Based on research, I've been looking at Bose Companion 2 Series III, and the Logitech Z623.  I know the Z623 has a sub, but that's ok.

I've heard both at the store, but there's been times when they sound good and times when they don't sound very good.  I don't know if I'm listening to bad speakers, or just the environment is weird, or maybe I'm in a bad mood for music listening.  I've never heard both in the same environment before, so I can't compare them side by side.

And maybe there's an option you guys know about that I'm not considering.

One thing - multiple inputs is a good feature for my application (MP3 player + computer input), but not critical.  Part of the reason why the Bose 2 Series III is attractive is because it has an auxiliary 3.5mm input.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 12
Adding a low cost DAC (external DAC or internal sound card) should improve the audio quality of any music files played from the PC.
Once you have all your music audio files stored on the hard drive, can't see any reason for using the mp3 player with the speakers.
The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Sometimes you can get a really good price on a used Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speaker system, for under $100.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 12
Well, I won't be able to use a internal sound card due to the limitations of the linux box.  It's really just an embedded system with USB outputs.  I only have line level audio output on this.  I've thought about using one of these things from Amazon, a LP-2020A Lepai Tripath Class T amplifier.  Maybe pair that with a pair of Pioneer BS21's.  I have no idea how that would sound compared to a Klipsch Promedia or Logitech Z623.

So, the question:  Line output to LP-2020A amplifier + Pioneer BS21 compared to a Logitech Z623.  How do you think they would compare?  And to a Klipsh Promedia?

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 12
  Well, I won't be able to use a internal sound card due to the limitations of the linux box.  It's really just an embedded system with USB outputs.  I only have line level audio output on this.  I've thought about using one of these things from Amazon, a LP-2020A Lepai Tripath Class T amplifier.  Maybe pair that with a pair of Pioneer BS21's.  I have no idea how that would sound compared to a Klipsch Promedia or Logitech Z623.

So, the question:  Line output to LP-2020A amplifier + Pioneer BS21 compared to a Logitech Z623.  How do you think they would compare?  And to a Klipsh Promedia?

My personal option is, a 2.0 will sound better over all, then a 2.1 for a given budget.
But the 2.1 will appeal to someone that like a lot of bass.
So I'm going to assume the BS21/Lepai will have the better over all sound quality, of the three
For a low cost decent budget setup, Dayton audio B652 + Lepai amp

For the 2.1, I would think the Klipsch would be a little better then the Logitech.

But I've only listened to the Klipsch, of all the speakers listed in the thread.
so I'm at best making guesses.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 12
What is small? I recommend the Nuforce Cube to you for small, I have 2 connected to USB. It is an amusing setup that surprised me.

Sorry about photo quality, but it's only to demonstrate.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 12

A ELE DAC EL-D01 USB DAC mail orders for $15, it contains a PCM2704 DAC chip, I would guess the Linux OS can work with the PCM2704 DAC chip.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 12

I would go with the Pioneers. I used to have the Klipsch Promedia, and moving to inexpensive passive speakers with an amp resulted in better SQ. As long as you won't miss the deep thump (and it's not very textured, as with most desktop multimedia subs) of the Klipsch sub.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Sound quality is definitely much more important to me than base.  I only mention 2.1 because it seems like all the high quality 2 speaker systems also come with base.  I've heard the Pioneer BS21's, and I think I'll be pretty happy with the level of base with just the bookshelf units.  Probably won't need a sub.

I really wish I could hear the Klipsh along with a pair of Pioneers in the same environment.  There's been times when the Klipsh sound really nice.  But I've never heard the Pioneers with the type of music I would listen to (classical).  So, it's hard to say.

I appreciate the advice from everyone. 

My personal option is, a 2.0 will sound better over all, then a 2.1 for a given budget.
But the 2.1 will appeal to someone that like a lot of bass.
So I'm going to assume the BS21/Lepai will have the better over all sound quality, of the three
For a low cost decent budget setup, Dayton audio B652 + Lepai amp

I would go with the Pioneers. I used to have the Klipsch Promedia, and moving to inexpensive passive speakers with an amp resulted in better SQ. As long as you won't miss the deep thump (and it's not very textured, as with most desktop multimedia subs) of the Klipsch sub.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 12
Sound quality is definitely much more important to me than base.  I only mention 2.1 because it seems like all the high quality 2 speaker systems also come with base.  I've heard the Pioneer BS21's, and I think I'll be pretty happy with the level of base with just the bookshelf units.  Probably won't need a sub.

I really wish I could hear the Klipsh along with a pair of Pioneers in the same environment.  There's been times when the Klipsh sound really nice.  But I've never heard the Pioneers with the type of music I would listen to (classical).  So, it's hard to say.

I appreciate the advice from everyone. 

Little bit more than you budget at the moment, but the Pioneer SP-BS22s are a little more refined than the BS21s. Stereophile did a review. I would choose them for classical over the Promedias.

BTW: Instead of baby lullabies, I recommend John Coltrane. :) Seriously. When my son was about 2 months old, I tried one of the classical music for babies CDs. Too much change in volume. So we did Dave Brubeck for a month or two, and then I wanted more complex jazz, so I made a Coltrane mixed CD. He listened to that every nap time all they up through 4 years old. And he has way more sophisticated sense of rhythm than I do. LOL

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Little bit more than you budget at the moment, but the Pioneer SP-BS22s are a little more refined than the BS21s. Stereophile did a review. I would choose them for classical over the Promedias.

BTW: Instead of baby lullabies, I recommend John Coltrane.
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously. When my son was about 2 months old, I tried one of the classical music for babies CDs. Too much change in volume. So we did Dave Brubeck for a month or two, and then I wanted more complex jazz, so I made a Coltrane mixed CD. He listened to that every nap time all they up through 4 years old. And he has way more sophisticated sense of rhythm than I do. LOL

Yeah, I'm very much leaning towards amp + speaker option, and will probably go with the Pioneer's.  I have some time yet, so I can wait until a good deal comes along.  And thanks for the music suggestion :)

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 12
If you're in the US, from time to time Amazon.com has the BS22's (I have them, I think they're really good for its price, although I got them at a higher price) on sale, usually $79.99 or $89.99 compared to its normal ~$120. I think the last time this happened was a week or two ago. So if you're willing to wait for a while, it'll probably go down again for a short while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back