Recommend recordings of some favorite classical pieces
Jul 29, 2007 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

binkgle

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, guys, could you please recommend to me some recordings of these pieces? They're particular favorites of mine, but I don't have recordings of them yet.

Smetana - The Moldau

Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 2

Chopin - Ballade in G minor (I've got a great Ashkenazy, but I preferred the Zimerman I recently heard. Any links to a good performance?)

Rachmaninov - Elegie

Thanks so much!

Jack

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Rachmaninov PC 2 - Ashkenazy/Haitink is a good one. Janis/Dorati is even better with an exceptional sound quality to match.

Chopin Ballade in G-minor - I have Bolet or Zimerman

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smetana - The Moldau

Don't get just that excerpt, get the whole Má Vlast. It is available in Hybrid SACD format with Colin Davis and the London Symphony Orchestra.

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 6
Rach 2: Reiner/Rubinstein on RCA. Classic recording.

Moldau: agree-- get the whole Ma Vlast. I really prefer Macal on Telarc. If you really want just Moldau, Fiedler on London is marvelous.

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 6
Handel's Complete Works, Water Music - Fireworks Music - most Concerti grossi's, by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert. Very moderate tempo and dynamics, chamber-ish accoustics and a nice pack of liner notes, a recording very worthy of "reference performance".

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes get entire Ma Vlast (my fatherland) and take entire excursion down the river and see the sights, for modern sound:
Harnoncourt/VPO/RCA
Not the first name you would think, but this is great version for sure.

Kubelik/CSO/Mercury (1951 mono)
I prefer this optimistic vision by younger Kubelik to his later more somber reveries

Now for Rach PC 2, for modern sound:
Zimerman/Ozawa/DG - I was shocked how good this is, great sound
Richter/DG Originals

Older sound:
Janis/Dorati/Mercury
Van Cliburn/Reiner/RCA - very romantic, also contains great Tchaikovsky PC 1 with Kondrashin

If you want an Ashkenazy version I like his older Kondrashin/Decca Legends version paired with Rach PC 3

If you want an entire Rach PC 1-4 set I would get:
Wild/Horenstein/Chandos - mid price
or
Hough/Litton/Hyperion - more expensive new full price version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back