Recommend Portable Amp to Drive HD600's?
Apr 14, 2004 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jmb

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a portable amp that will be capable of driving a pair of Sennheiser HD600's.

I want to pair these cans with the excellent line out of the Sony MZ-R50 Minidisc player.

Or, should I save a few bucks and go for one of Sennheiser's low end cans (e.g. HD555's). I am not really concerned with the price though, only in improving the sound quality of my portable set-up, without wasting money on overkill.

I would also be paring these with the line out of a HD mp3 player in the future, once I can afford to replace the JB3 that just died on me.

BTW:This will be my first post on Head-Fi
600smile.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 9
I asked Larry of LaRocco Audio about the Pocket Reference and the 600/650's and he said it would be an excellent match, plenty of gain, and plenty of portability. I used to own an older Headroom Supreme portable, but the gain was nowhere near enough for the 600's. When I get another portable, I am pretty sure it will be the Pocket Ref, based on all I've read.

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

There are a number of alternatives open to you from the Xin Supermini and SuperMicro to the Pocket Reference to the XP-7. I would do a search on these to see what others have said. Good luck on your search!

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 9
There are two active threads that are discussing exactly this already HERE and HERE
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ipodstudio
There are two active threads that are discussing exactly this already HERE and HERE
wink.gif

Aren't those threads concerned with non-portable amps?

I was hoping that there might be some MZ-R50 owners with HD600's who might have auditioned several of the portable amps out there to see how they match-up.

I don't know if this helps but the MZ-R50's line out rating is 194mV, 10Kohms.

Thanks for the help!

Apr 23, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the sugestions everyone. I looked at a number of the higher end models, but their price keeps them out of reach. I decided to get Super Mini from XIN, with the battery booster (13.5V max) and I am going to step down a bit on the headphones and go for the Senn 580's. It seems like it would be a good match and a lot more affordable. Anyone have experience with this set-up?
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back