Recommend over/on ear headphones for ~$200
Jan 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bun-Bun

New Head-Fier
I have had a pair of Sony MDR-V700 for a long time. They are showing their age and I would like a new pair. 

I find the MDR-V700's to be fatiguing in both listening and wearing. Looking for something a little more balanced and less mid bass heavy while still maintaining a good amount of low freq. content. I have a pair of Audeo PFE 112 IEM's and I love everything about them except lacking bass response. 

These will be used at the office only and will be driven by an Audinst HUD-MX1 (dac/amp).

Thanks in advance!

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Get the beyerdynamic dt770 for more bass impact (closed back) or the dt880 for more detailed bass quality (semi-open back, can hear noise around you). Both should work great with you Audinist amp, though the dt880 is more ideal.

Edit: Is your username from the commercial recording studio father on Bob's Burgers? Just wondering. ...bun, bun!

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 9
I've looked into the dt770. Seem like they would have the same wearing fatigue issue as my MDR-V700. Can anyone comment on their comfort?

dt880 is more then I want to spend. Do they ever go on sale anywhere? Or a good used market for them?

lol Bun-Bun is from the web comic www.sluggy.com

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Started looking at the Nad Viso HP50. Little more than I wanted to spend but seems to be close to what I want. 

I can't seem to find them in or shipping to Canada though.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 9
I did find the NAS HP50's at headphone bar. But I ended up getting a pair of Denon 1001 from pbui44 with upgraded cable. 

Local Long & McQuade set up a headphone demo station with 30 or so headphones from Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, and a couple others. Of that demo I liked the Shrue SRH840 the best. Though the bass wasn't as detailed as some. Another pair I liked were the AKG K240 MK II which are open. The AKG's had more detailed bass but less of it. 

These Denon's seem to be the best of both worlds for me considering the above two headphones. Overall good response, far superior imaging to my Sony's, very comfortable, and they don't get in the way of the music. 

I am satisfied. For now...

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 9
  I have had a pair of Sony MDR-V700 for a long time. They are showing their age and I would like a new pair. 

I find the MDR-V700's to be fatiguing in both listening and wearing. Looking for something a little more balanced and less mid bass heavy while still maintaining a good amount of low freq. content. I have a pair of Audeo PFE 112 IEM's and I love everything about them except lacking bass response. 

These will be used at the office only and will be driven by an Audinst HUD-MX1 (dac/amp).

Thanks in advance!

Oh man I used to have a pair of those way back in the day.  The clamping force is so strong that your ears would be sore afterward.  Needless to say I gave them to my ex-girlfriend... Oh how I hope it provided her with hours of discomfort 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah they are really tight. lol Get headaches after too long. Funny thing is I used to carry them around with me everywhere I went and didn't used to have problems with them. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 9
  Yeah they are really tight. lol Get headaches after too long. Funny thing is I used to carry them around with me everywhere I went and didn't used to have problems with them. 

Maybe your head grew like I mine did haha.  You could also go for the PSB M4U1 or PSB M4U2 (basically PSB M4U1 plus active noise-canceling).  Paul Barton of PSB created the NAD HP50 and I hear they're very similar in sound quality (just an alternative).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back