Recommend Me The Best For My Needs...
Apr 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

VoLTaG3

Banned
Hey guys. I am starting to get a bit annoyed since I cannot make up my mind for which headphone I want to purchase. I thought I had made up my mind with the Sennheiser HD800 and the Lisa III. When it comes to think of it. I want a headphone to use outside and as well as inside with one very fine portable amp except the Lisa III. The Lisa III probably wouldn't have even fully pushed the HD800's resulting in me needing to buy a home amp.

I was going to use my Shure SE530's for outside use and when I get home use my HD800's. I was not going to use a Lisa III because of it's shear size. I was going to use something like a iQube, Pico, or RSA P-51 Mustang portable amplifier and strap it down to the back of my Zune 120gb. The strapped down amp that I chose would have both amped my Shure SE530's while outside and amped my Sennheiser HD800 when at home.

The Sennheiser HD800 wouldn't really have been driven that greatly from these portable amps.

These are the following things I want from the headphone. Money isn't a problem:
  1. Neutrality with some bass slam but no bloat whatsoever.
  2. Very transparent and detailed in every frequency.
  3. The best sound stage if not the best very close to it. Soundstage must be realistic according to the music.
  4. Easily driven out of a high quality portable amplifier (EXCEPT LISA III).
  5. Open design. It could be closed also.
  6. Removable cables. Also Where can I find a 3-4ft cable with a 3.5mm jack at the end for it?
  7. Looks good since I'm wearing it in public. AKG 702 is sexy.

Music I listen to:
  1. Drum N' Bass
  2. Hip Hop
  3. Rap
  4. Techno
  5. Electronic
  6. Pop
  7. Rock And Roll
  8. R&B
  9. Melodic

If the headphone you recommended me is a headphone you also own what portable amp has the best synergy with it?

Thanks for your recommendations!!!

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 29
The things on your list don't really seem compatible. You might have to strike a few requirements and even then it will be difficult.

Not that many phones have removable cables, so that takes a lot of phones off the list. The portable amping requirement does the same thing. I don't really believe in portable amps, and I would never want to use one to drive a full sized headphone. Not that they can't make a difference, but just that they don't do much. IME, they can't drive a full sized headphone to its potential. They just don't have the necessary power output.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The things on your list don't really seem compatible. You might have to strike a few requirements and even then it will be difficult.

Not that many phones have removable cables, so that takes a lot of phones off the list. The portable amping requirement does the same thing. I don't really believe in portable amps, and I would never want to use one to drive a full sized headphone. Not that they can't make a difference, but just that they don't do much. IME, they can't drive a full sized headphone to its potential. They just don't have the necessary power output.

Some portable amps have a 18v output. That isn't enough? Also what permanently wired headphones would you recommend me?

Thanks.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 29
Have you considered the Ultrasone Edition 9's (or 8's)? Those sound exactly like what you are looking for.

* Neutrality with some bass slam but no bloat whatsoever.
yes

* Very transparent and detailed in every frequency.
for sure

* Easily driven out of a high quality portable amplifier (EXCEPT LISA III).
As I remember, they are 32ohm.

* Removable cables. Also Where can I find a 3-4ft cable with a 3.5mm jack at the end for it?
Removable, I am not sure what the jack situation is.

* Looks good since I'm wearing it in public. AKG 702 is sexy.
Only you can tell.

They also look to be the most portable high end full sized headphone.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Ultrasone Edition 9's (or 8's)? Those sound exactly like what you are looking for.

* Neutrality with some bass slam but no bloat whatsoever.
yes

* Very transparent and detailed in every frequency.
for sure

* Easily driven out of a high quality portable amplifier (EXCEPT LISA III).
As I remember, they are 32ohm.

* Removable cables. Also Where can I find a 3-4ft cable with a 3.5mm jack at the end for it?
Removable, I am not sure what the jack situation is.

* Looks good since I'm wearing it in public. AKG 702 is sexy.
Only you can tell.

They also look to be the most portable high end full sized headphone.

Ultrasone headphones are ugly and the edition headphones are not worth their hefty price tag. They remind me of BOSE marketing.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone headphones are ugly and the edition headphones are not worth their hefty price tag. They remind me of BOSE marketing.

Hm, have you actually heard them? I will not try to convince you any more than telling you to go try finding a pair to listen to, because in the end, this is your purchase. Also, keep in mind, the HD800 that you are looking has currently not proven itself at all. It is truly all hype at this point in time. I am not saying it will not live up to it, but right now, saying that one headphone is better or worst than it is really just talk.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, have you actually heard them?

I tried them and totally agree.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 29
id actually recommend the Ed9 as well - i'm sorry that you have such a prejudice without having tried them

of course, if you find them ugly, then i guess it's a null point

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700. Needs no amp.

Dude,
1. money's no object
2. ad700's ugly

Sorry, OP. No recommendations for me. The limitless budget thing has thrown me off my game.

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 29
If money's not an issue, and you're looking for headphones that you can enjoy outside, I'm going to suggest, especially for your type of music, UE11s. I consider them one of the best purchases I've made.

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back