Recommend me the best Amplifier for my bookshelf speakers under $150
Jan 26, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 21
I own and love the Behringer KM750. (I use it with Klipsch RP-250F floorstanding speakers and a Schiit SYS passive preamp.) It's a professional-grade power amp that happens to cost $150, is class AB, outputs up to 400 watts into 4 ohms, 200 watts into 8 ohms, and supports mono bridged mode for up to 750 watts into 8 ohms. It looks kind of like the Cavalli Liquid Gold. The downside is that it is large and heavy. The fan system makes noise as well (only an issue when music is not playing), but at least it stays cool.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 21
I own and love the Behringer KM750. (I use it with Klipsch RP-250F floorstanding speakers and a Schiit SYS passive preamp.) It's a professional-grade power amp that happens to cost $150, is class AB, outputs up to 400 watts into 4 ohms, 200 watts into 8 ohms, and supports mono bridged mode for up to 750 watts into 8 ohms. It looks kind of like the Cavalli Liquid Gold. The downside is that it is large and heavy. The fan system makes noise as well (only an issue when music is not playing), but at least it stays cool.
Is it better than Marantz PM5005?

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 21
What are you using as a source?

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 21
You need something to supply the analog signal to the amp or you have no sound.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 21
What do you mean? I'm getting bookshelf speakers and an Amp, is there anything else I need?

Assuming you are using a computer to play digital audio, you will probably want a DAC. (It's possible to connect your computer directly to an amp or preamp, but it can result in lower sound quality and other issues.) I owned high-end DACs in the past, but am using a $30 Behringer UCA202 at the moment and would recommend that to start with if you need a DAC and don't want to spend much.

You should also use a preamp for volume control if you get a power amp that has no volume control. The $49 Schiit SYS passive preamp is what I use. It has no electronics and sounds better to me than some active amps/preamps that can alter the signal. It can also be used to switch between multiple components. (It has two inputs and one output that can be switched to be one input and two outputs.) You can always use the digital volume control on your computer (or other digital source), but this also presents potential issues.

Which speakers are they, by the way?

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 21
You need something to supply the analog signal to the amp or you have no sound.
My laptop?

Assuming you are using a computer to play digital audio, you will probably want a DAC. (It's possible to connect your computer directly to an amp or preamp, but it can result in lower sound quality and other issues.) I owned high-end DACs in the past, but am using a $30 Behringer UCA202 at the moment and would recommend that to start with if you need a DAC and don't want to spend much.

You should also use a preamp for volume control if you get a power amp that has no volume control. The $49 Schiit SYS passive preamp is what I use. It has no electronics and sounds better to me than some active amps/preamps that can alter the signal. It can also be used to switch between multiple components. (It has two inputs and one output that can be switched to be one input and two outputs.) You can always use the digital volume control on your computer (or other digital source), but this also presents potential issues.

Which speakers are they, by the way?
Q Acoustics 3020

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 21
My laptop?

So how do you plan on controlling the volume?

You could always go for an integrated amp with built-in volume control, but most power amps don't have volume knobs, and even those that do (like mine) aren't realistic to control the volume with, because there are often two of them that you'd need to rotate at the same time. And mine is so large I just put it on the floor, so it's not realistic to control the volume with it.

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 21
So how do you plan on controlling the volume?

You could always go for an integrated amp with built-in volume control, but most power amps don't have volume knobs, and even those that do (like mine) aren't realistic to control the volume with, because there are often two of them that you'd need to rotate at the same time. And mine is so large I just put it on the floor, so it's not realistic to control the volume with it.
I can't control the volume in my laptop?

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #12 of 21
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 21
F292A174-DD56-4F62-8BB8-D080444EC411.jpeg

Many don’t realise that most MacBooks have optical coming out of the 3.5mm plug, something like this would work, but I have not used one.
https://www.amazon.com/Recoton-Fiber-Optic-Toslink-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 21
My laptop?

You can use an amplifier with a USB input that way the sound will be better processed by the DAC and line stage in the amp with a short path to its output stage.

You shouldn't actually. If you just hook up the analogue output of the laptop to an amp the circuit isn't designed as a very clean line out signal, not to mention that unless you blow a lot more money on a dedicated amplifier that doesn't have its own preamplifier stage built in (these kinds of amps are designed for more power, which is why they cost more despite having less features) the amp you're going to get has its own preamplifier stage. See that volume knob on the amp? That's what controls the volume, not your laptop.

If you use USB input to have the dedicated audio circuits on the amp do all the work (assuming it has USB input), you can't. The OS will disable volume control.

Here's a screenshot of my desktop right now. See the "x" on the speaker icon? I'm using USB output to an amp with USB DAC input.
screenshot_01.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #15 of 21
Yes you can even if you use a dac there is a master volume on computers and on the laptop I bet has volume keys on it. Have a MacBook Pro ,MacBook Air and a HP laptop and they all have volume control keys. The Onkyo looks pretty nice I would recommend a intergated amp like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back