Recommend me some rock
May 16, 2004 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kush_

100+ Head-Fier
Electronica is my main taste in music but I have been looking for something else to listen too for a change. Please could someone give me some rock recommendations similar to the list below:

- VAST
- Vex Red
- Muse
- Radiohead (however some of the vocals seem a bit whiney if you know what i mean)
- Tool
- Unknown John Butler CD i ripped ages back (some guitar music is ok too)
- Some of NIN - pretty hate machine is O.K. (Edit: I was just listening to pretty hate machine - terrible lie... whilst the lyrics may be a bit shallow, I particually like the was its sorta got some electronic sounds mixed in.

Of those my favourites are definatly Vex Red and VAST to a slightly lesser extent.

Thanx

May 16, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 21
Uhm, not that it would comply with your choices, but for an educative experience in ROCK I would suggest having a look at

-> Deep Purple - Machine Head (SACD)
and
-> Queen - Live Killers (includes the best version of "We Will Rock You" ever made)

May 16, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 21
wow.. tool, nin, muse, radiohead.. those are some of my favorite bands! (I haven't heard the others yet)
wink.gif

If you're interested you can check what else I listen to at Music Mobs.

- Justin

Edit - Quick list of some artists you might like:
  1. Coldplay (A Rush of Blood to the Head)
  2. Pilate (Caught By the Window)
  3. A Perfect Circle (Mer de Noms)
  4. Smashing Pumpkins
  5. Deftones (White Pony or Around the Fur)

They are in order from what i think you'll like the most.

May 16, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 21
VAST is one of my favorite hard rock artists also, and Ours is a similar group. Their first album, Distorted Lullabies, is really bombastic in a similar way. Their second album, Precious, is a more traditional hard-rock album, but it's good nonetheless. I'd definitely check out both these albums. Also, check out some of the classic rock out there. It seems like Queen and Led Zeppelin would be up your alley.

May 17, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 21
Garbage
Auf der Maur
Stabbing Westward
God Lives Underwater
Gravity Kills
godhead

The Muse, in particular, is a recent discovery of mine that I have totally enjoyed.

EDIT: Vex Red, in particular, makes me think of Apex Theory.

Also, you should check out some serious electronica laced pop like trip-hop:

Lamb
Halou
Portishead

May 17, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 21
Try (non in particular order):

Metallica
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Dream Theater
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Stone Temple Pilots
Temple of the Dog
Four Non Blondes
Mad Season
Alice in Chains
Silverchair

I think that with those, and the ones above, you will have a good idea of what Rock is about, sorry if i miss any good band, of course there should be a lot of others, but those were the first ones that crossed my mind now...

May 17, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 21
If you like the Prog that Tool puts out, go for the more deep feelings of A Perfect Circle. I'm also suprized you don't have Pink Floyd on the list, beautiful progressive there.
etysmile.gif

May 18, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 21
here are some suggestions

Radiohead - ok computer and the Bends

Flaming Lips - for more abrasive, noise rock check out (transmissions of the satellite heart and clouds taste metallic). The Lips' newer albums (soft bulletin and Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots) are softer but more refined and intricate

...and you'll know us by the trail of the dead - Source Tags and Codes

Interpol - Turn on the bright lights (these guys are a part of the New York scene but well worth hearing for their deeply layered guitars, amorphous drums, and jumpy bass)

Blur - Parklife and the Great Escape

Super Furry Animals - Rings around the World (lots of electronic and rock integration)

Pixies - Surfer Rosa and Doolittle (concise, distortion heavy pop songs with very charasmatic, loud vocals)

Beck - Mutations (produced by the guy who did OK Computer and HTTT)

David Bowie - Low, Heroes, and Lodger (you can see how these Eno produced albums influenced the likes of the Flaming Lips)

need any more feel free to contact me privately

May 18, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
Radiohead -------------> Porcupine Tree

YES!!!

all right listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to music.

Bolt San, you and i seem to have very similar tastes in music.

anyway...rock recommendations:

-Floater (an unknown hard rock band. one of the few hard rock bands i really enjoy.)
-King Crimson (theyve been around forever. try out the first 4 or 5 albums and the newest one.)
-Rage Against the Machine (a modern hard rock staple)
-Can (german psychedelic rock. try it out.)
-The Mars Volta (the best description of them ive heard is "punk floyd". very intense and fast prog-psychedelic rock with a salsa twist. a great band. check them out.)
-Dredg (One of my top 5 rock rock bands. just all around fantastic.)
-The Rapture (more electronic infused rock. they often have a very retro vibe.)
-Modest Mouse (the newest album is somewhat "poppy" but try out the Lonesome Crowded West for some good old-fashioned indie rock.)
-Queens of the Stone Age ("stoner-rock" at its finest.)
-The Velvet Underground (some of the earliest "good" rock right here. just an all around classic band.)

-Do Make Say Think
-Explosions in the Sky
-Godspeed You Black Emperor!
-Mogwai
-Mono
^^^All post rock bands. they all have longish songs which are generally a long slow build up into a towering cacophony of wailing guitars. my personal favorite sub-genre of rock.

-Interpol
-The Flaming Lips
-A Perfect Circle
-Porcupine Tree
-Pink Floyd
^^^Have all been mentioned already

all right theres a list of part of the rock i listen too. i hope you enjoy some of the bands mentioned.

May 18, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 21
I second furious and others on:

Modest Mouse (though I think you should jump to Good News for People who Love Bad News, because it is un-Modest Mouse-like, yet Modest Mouse-ishly weird... and awesome)
Pink Floyd - Meddle, Saucerful of Secrets
King Crimson (I don't like King Crimson, but think it important to know whether you want "progressive rock")

and would like to add the following since this list needs more distortion
smily_headphones1.gif
:

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Wire - 154, Chairs Missing, Pink Flag

When you're ready for The Velvet Underground, White Light/White Heat matters most I think.

I also suggest you read grinch's posts in this forum, since your tastes are similar to his before entering the world of rock and roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back