Recommend me some Pink Floyd...
Jan 27, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #31 of 47
Wha the hell?! Sorry guys ... it only needed to be said once. I don't see where I can delete it myself ... MOD!!

sorry.

(but try "New Mown Grass" live at San Diego, CA on October 17, 1971.
biggrin.gif
)

edit: I am having some seriously weird connectivity/delay problems here or something. THink I'll walk away from the computer for a while.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #34 of 47
Does anyone know of a good bootleg that features Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here? It's sad that Pulse doesn't have Waters, otherwise it could have been a phenomenal live album.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of a good bootleg that features Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here? It's sad that Pulse doesn't have Waters, otherwise it could have been a phenomenal live album.

check your pm

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Anything else from them is garbage, especially any of the post Waters stuff.

Usually there are people who prefer the early PF stuff and then there are those people who prefer the newer stuff. I belong to the latter group. I don't care that much about the early albums of PF (the three first ones). I still don't think they're rubbish.

From Atom Heart Mother to The Wall pretty much everything rocks (Obscured by Clouds is only mediocre though) and you can add The Division Bell to the same group. I also like A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #37 of 47
Patu: I totally agree. The good thing for the OP is the adventure in finding out which one he is.
smily_headphones1.gif

To which I must add even though I am a post DSOTM variety fan, I love an album that no one has mentioned yet: Relics. Maybe an aquired taste but a great album.

To the OP, here are some previous PF discussions:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/pin...-unite-380223/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/pin...58/index3.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/fav...-album-218171/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/do-...ead-fi-359001/

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #39 of 47
OP: I'd suggest listening to Animals before you listen to The Wall. It's a good bridge between the sound of DSoTM/WYWH and The Wall, and should ease you into the latter more easily.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Get Wish you Were Here next, it's on the same level as Dark Side of The Moon, if not above. Then get Animals. Those 3 are the essential Pink Floyd albums, after that what you should get depends on your standards. The Wall is a good album, but a bit draggy and very overproduced. Meddle is good too, but also gets a bit boring at times. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one of the better Beatles wannabe albums out there, solid stuff. A Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma are not bad and are worth checking. Anything else from them is garbage, especially any of the post Waters stuff.

Wow.....Get out of my record collection....
beerchug.gif

Seriously though, I echo this post to a T. DSotM, WYWH, Animals, Wall, Meddle, and then the rest depending on mood. And agreed with the post-Waters stuff, not a whole lot of great tunes, but a few gems in there.

-w-

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Mephisto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And agreed with the post-Waters stuff, not a whole lot of great tunes, but a few gems in there.

-w-

Funny thing is, the Waters never really did alot of merit on his own. I think this was one of those cases of a real team effort. Waters brought experimentation and edge, but Gilmour brought beauty and musical skills -- along with Richard Wright. A little like the Beatles, although I thought the solo beatles did a lot of great stuff.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. And not to mention the lack of a Scratch 'n' Sniff pot card insert diminishes the complete Pink Floyd Live Experience.
wink.gif

lol, *scratch scratch scratch" *sniiiiffff*, "oh, im there."

they should include papers or something

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny thing is, the Waters never really did alot of merit on his own. I think this was one of those cases of a real team effort. Waters brought experimentation and edge, but Gilmour brought beauty and musical skills -- along with Richard Wright. A little like the Beatles, although I thought the solo beatles did a lot of great stuff.

Waters is pretty much the Ozzy Osbourne/Tarja Turunen of Pink Floyd, he might not be what people call a good vocalist, some of his live vocal performances are absolutely disgraceful and pathetic, but his dark, gritty and emotional vocals is essential for Pink Floyd. Listening to Pulse his absence is obvious and while Glimour is technically the better vocalist his vocals is far too nice; he can't carry songs like Us and Them or Time. It's sad that they never actually tried to find a proper replacement for Waters. It's kind of like how Black Sabbath and Nightwish became just another band without Ozzy and Tarja respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back