Recommend me some of that "Jazz" I keep hearing about?
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TomKure

Head-Fier
Hello. When I read about audiophile stuff, there's very often a word like "Jazz" or "classical" being mentioned. Now, I have my favourites when it comes to classical (Grieg, Brahms, Vivaldi, etc - yes, I'm a classical "beginner"), and - of course - I know what Jazz is, but I have never really heard (listened to for a prolonged period of time) to any serious Jazz. So, could anyone recommend me some nice, soft, fluent, melodic Jazz with some nice Saxophone or trumpet and a stand up bass perhaps and maybe some piano and perhaps even some nice vocals? As one - slightly embarrassing - example of what I liked I would mention the music in the videogame SimCity 3000 :)

Please don't laugh at me too much :)

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hello. When I read about audiophile stuff, there's very often a word like "Jazz" or "classical" being mentioned. Now, I have my favourites when it comes to classical (Grieg, Brahms, Vivaldi, etc - yes, I'm a classical "beginner"), and - of course - I know what Jazz is, but I have never really heard (listened to for a prolonged period of time) to any serious Jazz. So, could anyone recommend me some nice, soft, fluent, melodic Jazz with some nice Saxophone or trumpet and a stand up bass perhaps and maybe some piano and perhaps even some nice vocals? As one - slightly embarrassing - example of what I liked I would mention the music in the videogame SimCity 3000
smily_headphones1.gif

Please don't laugh at me too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Dave Brubeck - Time Out reminds me of SimCity, I don't know if it is actually the same style. It's been a while. (didn't play Simcity 4 that much)

I always put Jazz music while playing games like Civilization or Crusade Kings, just to remember the "feel" of the old SimCity games

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 8
I put together a list of the 10 albums I recommend when someone wants to explore jazz.

Some things to remember
1.  there are many styles of jazz
2.  jazz is an aquired taste
3.  for me at least, sometimes things I don't really care for the first time I listen to them, turn out later to be favorite albums.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 8
 Nina Simone's first record "Little Girl Blue" is a wonderful record. She's classically trained pianist, and her first recording already shows an amazing talent and her emotion are right upfront. Another singer/pianist that sometimes get's taken too lightly is Blossom Dearie. Her voice is pretty unique and could be seen as too cute by some. She's a coy and stealth performer, quiet and moody (so is life sometimes) but as soft as she may seem there is a solid base underneath.

Check out some early Ramsey Lewis, sometimes Jazz just needs to be for a swinging good time. Ahmad Jamal is another artist who I think is approachable yet amazing. His recording of "Poinciana" I've linked to is one of my favourite Jazz tracks.  It's flat out pretty in places but it moves along.

There's also more emotional of Jazz that may move you. Yousef Lateef and Bill Evans seem to be on another plane. Here are two versions of "Love theme from Spartacus" 

*And a bonus version of the track from Ahmad Jamal

Speaking of being on another plane. Pharoah Sanders (who probably wouldn't make it on a video game sound track) always seems to dig deep. It's hard not 
to think of John Coltrane listening to Pharoah Sanders. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. "Kind of Blue" is really great, however, it is not on the SimCity 3000 soundtrack, although some of the jazz songs which are present on that soundtrack are very very similar to "Kind of Blue". If anyone is interested, the SC3K soundtrack is - legally I think - available somewhere on the Internet for free and despite being in 128kbps MP3, the sound quality is really good. Just google it.
It will take a lot of time for me to listen to all the stuff you guys recommended, and it seems that I will have to save some money to obtain at least some jazz records. Luckily, I was quite surprised that jazz CDs from artist like Miles Davis or John Coltrane (those two made the biggest impression on me so far) are not as expensive as I thought they would be here in the Czech Republic. Then again, some jazz CDs are not cheap at all...
So far it seems that I tend more to like smooth, more instrumental "cool" jazz than the piano + vocal stuff, but I have heard so little that it would be unfair to judge.
Anyway, I will welcome any more suggestions :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Cool jazz? Here's a few choices:
Chico Hamilton - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hArNuNUR_i4
Stanley Turrentine- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0nIKWRyLF0
Lou Donaldson- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwO5TZdNWok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back