Recommend me some music out of my comfort zone. RnB maybe.
Nov 10, 2010 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BobSaysHi

Headphoneus Supremus
I listened to this today, absolutely incredible. I'm trying to expand my musical interests, hopefully you'll help 
smily_headphones1.gif

Please recommend me something like this. I'm going to pick up his albums and I'd like to hear anything else that is just as awesome.

Also, I'd like to hear some good jazz, but I don't know where to look.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 13
Can't go wrong with Gnarls Barkley.  Both albums are really solid and a lot of fun.  If you like Cee Lo's vocals you should definitely check out his solo albums as well.

You might also want to look into Janelle Monae's album The Archandroid:

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 13
I've never been really interested in soul, but black sands by bonobo made me get Andreya Triana's Lost Where I Belong. Me likes.

Edit: How far out of your comfort zone do you like your recommendations? I've forgot to recommend Pan American - Quiet City in the dreamy ambient thread so i'll just post it here, because it's awesome.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
I've never been really interested in soul, but black sands by bonobo made me get Andreya Triana's Lost Where I Belong. Me likes.

How far out of your comfort zone do you like your recommendations? I've forgot to recommend Pan American - Quiet City in the dreamy ambient thread so i'll just post it here, because it's awesome.

Funny you should mention Bonobo, which is probably my favorite release of the year. I enjoy Black Sands more than his other albums though, it has a nature feel to it that his other albums don't. The first song you posted is pretty much what I'm looking for. Very, very good suggestions so far. The ambient track would be perfect for sunrises during the summer, I'll find that too. I'm not too picky about what you guys pick for me as long as it's good. No rap though, if you don't mind.

Here's my last.fm, I think it might be useful. http://www.last.fm/user/Bobsayshi2

I'm also looking for Lewis Taylor. Haven't found it yet.

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Maybe try Anthony Hamilton? He's also a Southerner with an unique vocal quality like Cee-Lo's. Good songs, too.

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 13
You know, if you like jazz with a singer, you can't go much wrong with old Mel Torme stuff like "Lulu's Back in Town" - really fine arrangements where the singing is one of the instruments.  Another one that you might also like is Jim Ferguson's "Not Just Another Pretty Bass".  Funny originals, great covers of great songs, super voice, amazing band etc.

- Ed

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Can't go wrong with Gnarls Barkley.  Both albums are really solid and a lot of fun.  If you like Cee Lo's vocals you should definitely check out his solo albums as well.

You might also want to look into Janelle Monae's album The Archandroid:

Its funny that you recommended Jannelle Monae, I clicked this thread specifically to recommend her.  I'm not usually one to listen to music like this, but her music seems to have a lot more soul than a lot of the others out there.  I also like a lot of her lyrics. 

I'll recommend you listen to these two as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back